Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those who do vinyl siding. I do A LOT of siding each year and am looking for a way to speed up the process without sacrificing quality. 90% of the siding I do is vinyl. Has anyone ever used the Hitachi siding coiler they sell? I read it countersinks and can leave the 1/8 inch gap I need b/t the nail and the siding for movement. I have a Hitachi roofing coiler and I love it. It is exensive for $377, but if it is a quality tool that works I will get it. I am also looking at getting the Porter Cable Cement Shears for $200. Anyone use these. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Vinyl siding needs to be nailed LOOSE. Nailers seem to be designed to nail things tight. Tight vinyl=BAD NEWS. I'd rent one before you buy it. I am skeptical about the 1/8" gap statement.

I've seen the shears in the store and I've sen 'em used on a few of the home improvement tv shows like TOH. I've never used 'em but they do look promising. I want to rent them for a small job like a garage maybe and see how they speed things up. As we all know the crappiest part of fiberement siding is the saw cutting.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I know Hitachi revamp their pnuematic designs on some guns with nail set capabilities. I personaly don't like what they did to the NR 83A framer. I have seen the shears used and think it is the was to go compared to cutting with a saw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Grumpy and justaframer

I am skeptical of the gap with the nailer as well. I just finished a big job and am tired of the plastic going all over the place. I just spoke with a contractor who has a guy who used the shears - will talk to him and let you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts