Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a used, but in good condition, Hitachi P12r planer without the optional jointer. From what I have read these are very good units, does anyone have any personal experience? Did these come with carbide blades? it's $350 btw.

Thanks,
Jason

· Registered
4,356 Posts
Once you have a portable planer, you'll wonder how you got along without it. At 12" I also doubt it's carbide, but will work great for build out of windows, doors, making extension jambs, etc, etc

I have the Dewalt 13" so couldn't tell you about the Hitachi's finish. Most of the time I'm not concerned, so much with the finish as I am the ability to give me the thickness I want. I keep a fairly new set of blades for the fine finish jobs and I also keep a multitude of blades around in varying degrees of sharpness and some that I will just call garbage the next time tey're used. The guy that sharpens my saw blade also sharpens them if they're not nicked up too bad.

· Registered
3 Posts
i have to agree with jhark123 it is too slow.
I personally would recommend the Dewalt DW735. The Dewalt Dw735 has two speeds, with the whole head going up and down causing less snip. It also has more horsepower a dust hose adaptor and a dust ejection chute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.