Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a used, but in good condition, Hitachi P12r planer without the optional jointer. From what I have read these are very good units, does anyone have any personal experience? Did these come with carbide blades? it's $350 btw.

Thanks,
Jason

·
miterclamp.com
214 Posts
I would get it if I were you. Used one years ago next to my big planer and ran the last pass through it because of the really good finish the hitachi gave. Don't remember the knives but doubt they were carbide.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Once you have a portable planer, you'll wonder how you got along without it. At 12" I also doubt it's carbide, but will work great for build out of windows, doors, making extension jambs, etc, etc

I have the Dewalt 13" so couldn't tell you about the Hitachi's finish. Most of the time I'm not concerned, so much with the finish as I am the ability to give me the thickness I want. I keep a fairly new set of blades for the fine finish jobs and I also keep a multitude of blades around in varying degrees of sharpness and some that I will just call garbage the next time tey're used. The guy that sharpens my saw blade also sharpens them if they're not nicked up too bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have to agree with jhark123 it is too slow.
I personally would recommend the Dewalt DW735. The Dewalt Dw735 has two speeds, with the whole head going up and down causing less snip. It also has more horsepower a dust hose adaptor and a dust ejection chute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts