Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick up a framing nailer this week. I don't do a lot of framing so I usually use a hammer but it's worth it to get one just for this job. I'm sure I'll need it again, eventually.

I was going to get a Hitachi as my local hardware store stocks their nails and parts. Why is the NR90 $100 less than the NR83? Is it really worth it for the requirements I described? And what's the difference in the different suffixes for paper collated nails? (S), ADPR, AA3, AA4?

I can just buy a NR90 new but I'll probably get a used NR83 if that's the gun to get.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I have the NR90. It works fine until it jams. Then you will want to throw it in the dumpster because it takes some serious doing to get the hammer pounded back when a clipped head gets stuck in there. It might help if I used different nails. I use senco kc27's because that is what is at the lumber yard. I want a 83 but the 90 works for now. If time is of the essence possible jamming could be a problem for you. If I had employees using it I would definitely go with the 83.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I loved the weight and feel of my 90 and used it over my new model paslode and older porter cable....After about a year of pretty intermediate use it blew a gasket and doesn't build pressure.... I will have it repaired, but I have guns that are 10 years old and all I've ever had to do to them was add some oil now and again.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
If you're not framing with it everyday, any of them will do. Get one that you can find nails for locally - paper, plastic, coil...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have one of each. They're both good as far as I can tell, but I don't use them all that much. I've either got one for me and one for my helper or I have them set up with two different kinds of nails. The NR90 is not lighter, at least not by more than a couple ounces. It does have a little better ergonomics. The NR90 also shoots a little bigger nails. I have a feeling the NR83 will last longer and be more serviceable, but for me I don't think it will become an issue.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm so glad you said that.:whistling

I just bought the 90 about 30 minutes ago. I barely ever use a framer but the time it takes to go rent it seems like a waste when I can buy a gun for $200. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

If you read that thread the guy who posted it talks about the 90's he's had breaking the driver pin.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yeah and read the link I posted in that thread for the 83 recall cause they shoot nails out the side. which has happened several times with several of ours.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would go with the 83..... 300 now or 200+200 to replace....

also buy from bigskytool.com

recon 83's for $200
It's possible but considering that I've bought a Makita cordless jigsaw, a bosch cordless right angle kit, a Bosch GLL2-50 laser, another Bosch bulldog 1", Realtime Landscape Architect 2013 and a framing nailer, saving $100 right now matters. I'm also about to pull the trigger on a new camera.:censored:

I held off until this year because we're expecting a baby in July so I'm going to have one hell of a write off year. Daycare quote is over $1500 a month for three days a week.:eek:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
Didn't California invent framing? Isn't every framing method known to man named after Cali.? Don't forget where Larry Haun did most of his magic.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts