Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Hitachi coil or Stick?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its getting harder to find the Hitachi coil framers at local dealers in my area every one sells Bostich junk. I have always loved the coil gun never was a fan of the stick nailer but I have never used Hitachi's only Paslode's.

What do you prefer? Coil or Stick?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Stick, faster nail change, not a framer though but I do a little.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Stick gun for basement floor beams
Coil gun for installing plywood deck
Coil gun for pl8’s
Coil gun for walls building
Stick gun for ceiling beams, rafters and fascia
I use a Hitachi & Makita pallet guns for wall & roof sheathing
Then I use the Hitachi NR65AK strap tight nailer from hell to install wall straps & hurricane clips

·
Registered
852 Posts
Have both Hitachi and Paslode coil nailers. Depends who you ask on the crew, I love the hitachi's the best, the gun runners prefer the paslode coilmasters.
Check out the referb Hitachi's. Good price on them online.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Its getting harder to find the Hitachi coil framers at local dealers in my area every one sells Bostich junk. I have always loved the coil gun never was a fan of the stick nailer but I have never used Hitachi's only Paslode's.

What do you prefer? Coil or Stick?

(Roofer)
I've used Bostitch mostly.
No problems. :)
For production sheathing/framing, coil.
Their lighter (in most cases, a full 3lbs which makes a huge difference)
and only have to be changed once for every 3 times a stick needs it.

Curious, for you pro framers, what are the benefits to stick framers over coils?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Big nails make for a lot of weight in coils. They are also harder to shoot in awkward situations. On open flat areas, coils are the way to go.
Joe

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Big nails make for a lot of weight in coils.
That's a good point. I wonder if anyone knows which weighs more...a loaded coil gun or a loaded stick gun?

They are also harder to shoot in awkward situations.
That one I knew for sure. The stick gun would rule there.

On open flat areas, coils are the way to go.
Joe
And that's precisely why I prefer coil guns for production work.
There's nothing like banging away at sheathing without having to stop as much to reload.

:)

I use framers probably 1% of the time that I use Roofing Guns (coiled of course).
Maybe for me, it's just that I find the coil guns more familiar.

If framing coil guns could be loaded as my Bostitch with it's one piece side-load canister, that would just be another plus.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Just checked some things out...

According to Fine Homebuilding, they weigh about the same loaded.

Great article there about the pros v cons on both.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Empty they are slightly lighter. Fully loaded a coil weighs more due to more nails.

Also, coil nails are they are ardox with glue do not sink into engineered lumber near as well as strip nails. So we use strip nails for engineered nailing (LVL, LSL) and on the roof sometimes as it has a rafter hook.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Empty they are slightly lighter. Fully loaded a coil weighs more due to more nails.

Also, coil nails are they are ardox with glue do not sink into engineered lumber near as well as strip nails. So we use strip nails for engineered nailing (LVL, LSL) and on the roof sometimes as it has a rafter hook.
Have shot thousands of nails from a coil nailor. Never had a problem sinking unless the compressor couldn't keep up.

We have use coil nailors for years. We don't like to have to reload all the time like the stick nailors. Stick nailors are bulky in comparison to the coil nailors also.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
stick for wall framing, floor and roof framing
coil for sheathing floors, walls and roofs

although lately our coil gun has been finicky for setting the depth, it always sinks the nails so we have to double nail otherwise the compressor gets dialed down which can screw up the guys using the stick nailers as those guns wont sink then

1 - 14 of 14 Posts