Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why but I'm really curious to know how much the Hitachi C8FB2 8 1/2" sliding compound mitre saw sold for new. Anyone remember?

I picked up a used one that was "well enjoyed" over it's life but functions very well for $100. I use it for all my outdoor work and framing etc. Basically I'm OK with letting it get smashed around in the truck, get dirty and possibly get a bit wet (rain). I'm very happy with the saw. I also have the makita 7 1/2" LS0714 that I use for interior work and very finicky outdoor trimwork. It rides shotgun in the truck when it comes to work and looks brand new. I like it that way and I find it a little bit nicer than the hitachi but it definitely feels a bit delicate.

I paid $600 for the makita (in Canada), I know prices change over time but I'm just curious how the new cost of the hitachi would have compared.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
When they first came out about $650. Then the USA put a tariff in them for a period of time they jumped to$900.

I been stock piling them in the garage. I only pay around a $100 or so for them. I think I bought my fist one in 1994 and it's stiill working like new. Pull it all the way out and no slop

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bought mine in 1991. I think I paid around 450.00 - 500.00. It doesnt get much use since we have the same saw at work.

The one my boss has was purchased I think in 1989 or 90. Not sure what he paid. That saw gets used almost every day. We use it to cut wood, vinyl siding and sometimes even aluminum channel. Finally did a rebuild on the motor last year, replacing all the bearings.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys... So the way I see it this was a more expensive saw than todays Makita, taking inflation into account.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
you need to remember it was one of the first slide compounds[besides the venerable SawBuck] out there at the time,back then it wasn't rare to see a radial arm on the job

1 - 12 of 12 Posts