Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curiously looking into to getting a cordless nailer. I hate setting up the compressor for a few hundred nails. ANy comments or thoughts or opinions abou these nailers. Looking into the 2 " 18gauge brad nailer.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I just got a refurbed Paslode for $199. I ran some brads through it on Monday. It's a great gun in my opinion. Cold weather is the only drawback to the Impulse line of tools. Keeping a fuel cell in a warm pocket and rotating them when needed solves that issue. I do alot of PVC exterior trim and these guns are irreplaceable for high work on scaffolding. I have 3 framing guns, 2 16 guage trimmers and the 18 guage brad gun. The only one that gave me trouble was the 16 guage straight nailer, which was shooting double nails regularly. I filed the back of the driver blade on a slight bevel and have not had problems since.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
432 Posts
they also now do a positive placement model

i have used them for years and find the usual problem is the rubber o ring deteriorates and the gun mis-fires. £3 fix and its as good as new

i tend to replace mine every 18months/2 years but they would last a lot longer

the only thing they lack imo is the ability to bump fire them but thats for safety reasons apparently

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
they also now do a positive placement model

i have used them for years and find the usual problem is the rubber o ring deteriorates and the gun mis-fires. £3 fix and its as good as new

i tend to replace mine every 18months/2 years but they would last a lot longer

the only thing they lack imo is the ability to bump fire them but thats for safety reasons apparently

Where in UK are you?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I suspect that this is set up this way to allow the engine to cool. Bump firing would no doubt lead to overheating the cylinder and seizure of the piston. You can speed nail pretty quickly with these guns, not that I recommend it, but bump firing would allow you to easily double the cycle rate IMO.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I suspect that this is set up this way to allow the engine to cool. Bump firing would no doubt lead to overheating the cylinder and seizure of the piston. You can speed nail pretty quickly with these guns, not that I recommend it, but bump firing would allow you to easily double the cycle rate IMO.
i have cycled two in the past when floor decking:gun_bandana:, they mis-fire when you run them flat out for more that about 15mins so i would put 1 to one side and use the other while it cooled down, i suspect the cylinder expands

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
cool

how do you find the work compares over there?

Plumbing wise the UK is way way ahead not just with type of installs but type of products available. Electrical not so different. Chippy work same old same old, Roofing different kettle of fish. Around my area it's all shingles. UK has greater range of tools available for some strange reason. Other than that it's all good. The hardest part is getting used to the different things people call stuff.

Coving = Crown
Skirting = Baseboard
Taps = Faucets
qtr round = Shoe molding

And so on. Took me 2 weeks to find a product like unibond :blink: still cant find thistle bonding coat

The best part though is the weather. Dont miss that at all.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
i have cycled two in the past when floor decking:gun_bandana:, they mis-fire when you run them flat out for more that about 15mins so i would put 1 to one side and use the other while it cooled down, i suspect the cylinder expands
Do you make a habit of bulk nailing with the Impulse guns? Just wondering how often you service the guns with heavy usage. If I have lots of nailing to do, I break out the air guns.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you make a habit of bulk nailing with the Impulse guns? Just wondering how often you service the guns with heavy usage. If I have lots of nailing to do, I break out the air guns.
it depends on the size of the deck, we never use air nailers
as for service i never service them anymore, when they mis fire a lot i will replace the o-ring and clean with the brake cleaner but other than that nothing

heres a nice warning poster we had the pleasure of staring at when we ate our lunch on a recent site

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
it depends on the size of the deck, we never use air nailers
as for service i never service them anymore, when they mis fire a lot i will replace the o-ring and clean with the brake cleaner but other than that nothing

heres a nice warning poster we had the pleasure of staring at when we ate our lunch on a recent site

That happend to a guy i know over here. Looked just like that. I always wonder if a pair of safty specs would stop a nailgun nail? Guess its better than nothing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Plumbing wise the UK is way way ahead not just with type of installs but type of products available. Electrical not so different. Chippy work same old same old, Roofing different kettle of fish. Around my area it's all shingles. UK has greater range of tools available for some strange reason. Other than that it's all good. The hardest part is getting used to the different things people call stuff.

Coving = Crown
Skirting = Baseboard
Taps = Faucets
qtr round = Shoe molding

And so on. Took me 2 weeks to find a product like unibond :blink: still cant find thistle bonding coat

The best part though is the weather. Dont miss that at all.
yeah the weather has been really wet and windy here for weeks and the site is currently like a swamp:sad:

we are hoping to follow you out of recession soon and get things moving again, one thing you cant get here at the moment is money:mad:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
A good friend of mine shot himself in the eye with an underlayment stapler. The doctor told him that he should not have removed the staple, as it caused the fluid to drain from the lens, of which he now sports an artificial one. He can see, but needs to wear corrective glasses for different distances.
He responds to the doctor with this. "Put your:censored: hand on this counter and let me smash it with a :censored: hammer, let's see whether you grab it or not.":furious:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts