Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this one a few weeks ago. We've completed foundation work now on to a new front porch. If all goes well this will turn into a full restoration.
As you can see this place needs it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
looks like you'll be busy for a little while. Are they the future business owners in the picture?:laughing:

·
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like you'll be busy for a little while. Are they the future business owners in the picture?:laughing:
YEA those are my boys! I'll encourage them to stay in school & shoot a little higher but if construction is what they want well it does put beans on the table...

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
YEA those are my boys! I'll encourage them to stay in school & shoot a little higher but if construction is what they want well it does put beans on the table...
There will ALWAYS be a need for a man who knows how to built stuff!! Always!:thumbup::thumbup:

I tell my wife, that when our daughter is old enough I want to teach her what I know. Not that I want her swinging a hammer for a living, but I want her to know how to take care of whatever she needs and not have to depend on some dude or hire some hack (not sure what's worse). I can't live forever.:sad:

·
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic! Will you be restoring the windows?
Actually they want me to figure something out the dry rot around them is pretty bad. I could use some direction or advise in that area obviously budget is the big issue. I'm leaning towards wood frame replacement windows to restore them would a lot of mil work & I am not tooled up for that.

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Actually they want me to figure something out the dry rot around them is pretty bad. I could use some direction or advise in that area obviously budget is the big issue. I'm leaning towards wood frame replacement windows to restore them would a lot of mil work & I am not tooled up for that.
Please consider restoration. It's no more expensive than replacement and it will last much longer. I can give you a hand with not only selling it but doing it if you want.

I could go on for hours about why but in short I'll just say that I've looked at many old houses for window repairs and the only ones I couldn't fix were 30 years old or newer.

·
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My thoughts also...

Nice looking job SAW.

Is there more to do?
The porch its self still needs to be painted.
The owners want to refurbish the windows next. I'm not sure that I will be doing that. Their ideas & mine don't mesh well. They just want new windows even tho the siding is falling off & all the openings need to be reframed plumb & level.
This place has a lot of problems that need major reno but they don't have the money to do it all so they just want it to be cosmetic.
I know better that never works.:whistling
And to tell you the truth I took a few lumps on this one :sad:
It was definitely a learning experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I started this one a few weeks ago. We've completed foundation work now on to a new front porch. If all goes well this will turn into a full restoration.
As you can see this place needs it.
Post pictures when you are done with it!!

That'll look great with a nice makeover.. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts