Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

historic ballustrade suppliers

2961 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  notillegal
Anyone in the northeast have any links for historic millwork suppliers, preferably for exterior elements. Starting to do alot of restoration work, Yee-Ha!, and need some good sources Thanks guys
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Thanks Gene, but being "historical" it has to be wood. That way I have to do it again in 6 years because the H.O. wont keep up on painting. LOL
Just wondering Gene, since you are from Jersey, and in the concrete business, do you make "boots" on the side. LOL
Ooops sorry about the Jersey thing I meant NY
he he he too late Guido hasa made uz dem new bootz and hes a on da way to uza house:shifty:
Are you matching up to existing trim and need them custom made? Or can you buy a reasonable likeness to replace it with?

Most trim work on Historic homes where custom made by local craftsmen and local materials. These have to be custom made if you need a perfect match.

there's a few guys on this forum and in the NE that could do that for you.:whistling
Jason, have him give you a profile. You make em' and I'll deliver them.
He's in NH; unless you're moving up this way:thumbup:

F! I gotta start carrying a camera again, those pictures suck!!!!!
Oops, I looked at the guy above your post in NJ.
Only after i make you an offer you cant refuse:laughing:
Just wondering Gene, since you are from Jersey, and in the concrete business, do you make "boots" on the side. LOL
I'll try to get some good pic's of some balustrades we are making right now for 4 balconies. Very interesting project to say the least.

We are milling, and installing.
Do you need turnings or cut shapes? For turnings you will see huge swings in pricing depending on whether the shop is using a lathe with a duplicator for multiples.
Yeah, there are a few guys on here that could, aren't there....:whistling
Are you matching up to existing trim and need them custom made? Or can you buy a reasonable likeness to replace it with?

Most trim work on Historic homes where custom made by local craftsmen and local materials. These have to be custom made if you need a perfect match.

there's a few guys on this forum and in the NE that could do that for you.:whistling
He's a couple that specialize in custom woodturning:
Turnings unlimited:
http://www.turningsunlimited.com/customturning.htm
They are in south central Ohio.
There is another one with a similar name in Dayton (Carliysle?), but I can't seem to find them now.

Another in CT (a lot closer) :
www.jimkephartwoodturning.com

Joe
Here's a few of the box type balustrades we're doing at the moment.

Almost done.....
As I thought a wealth of information

I appreciate all the input guys. As of today I'm not sure which route the customer is going to take, it could be a restoration, or a preservation job. If it goes the restoration route I will need some new turnings to replace the balcony rails over the two main porches and some ballusters for a set of stairs. If it goes the preservation route I will need lots of Abatron. Jason and Derek I will keep you guys in mind. This is my first serious job in this area of work and I am excited,so until the customer decides what road she can go I'm just trying to compile resources and info. I will try and upload some pics if I can get them off my phone.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.