Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys am looking for new painter and narrowed down to about 4 guys. What would you ask them to make sure there going to be the right fit. Or actually are as good as they say. Some advice this will be am first hire that's not family( no more of that lol)

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Hey guys am looking for new painter and narrowed down to about 4 guys. What would you ask them to make sure there going to be the right fit. Or actually are as good as they say. Some advice this will be am first hire that's not family( no more of that lol)
I don't know if you get far by asking them anything, because the answer will be what you want to hear.

Tell them items like door hinges and window locks, etc not excluding surfaces which don't have to be painted should be covered and protected. The rest is pretty much standard things all painters do like prep work, caulking, no drip mark on doors and walls etc. Let them get started and check to make sure everything is going good and they doing a nice job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My buddy owns a large painting outfit and since everyone and their mother says they know how to paint, he has alittle test he tries on all new employees.

He builds a small Sheetrock wall with a door and casing and tells the guy to paint it. Everything is right there for him. Sprayer, brush, roller, caulk, etc. he goes upstairs and sees how long it takes for them to paint it. If they set up the sprayer and finish is 10 min... They have a job. If it takes them an hour to brush and roll... See ya!!!

Try it out. It sure narrows it down!!

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
SawDustDon44 said:
My buddy owns a large painting outfit and since everyone and their mother says they know how to paint, he has alittle test he tries on all new employees. He builds a small Sheetrock wall with a door and casing and tells the guy to paint it. Everything is right there for him. Sprayer, brush, roller, caulk, etc. he goes upstairs and sees how long it takes for them to paint it. If they set up the sprayer and finish is 10 min... They have a job. If it takes them an hour to brush and roll... See ya!!! Try it out. It sure narrows it down!!
They wouldn't have a job with me if they messed with the sprayer on a job that small. that would show they they have no idea what tool to use for the situation. may be different if your knocking out piss poor quality finishes though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's true. If they were done in 10 minutes that would be a big red flag. And of course am aiming for quality

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I always thought a test like mentioned would be a good idea, of course we all have different expectations of what we want from someone who says they can paint.

I hired a guy who I knew had very limited painting experience but was a good worker and willing to learn, and he still is, I hired based upon his character. My priority in an employee is integrity and honesty, the majority of my work is in private homes with no one home.
It helps that I knew who he was and that he was wanting work.

I can teach people to paint my way.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
I just pay them to paint a room. I get to see what they do, how they do it, what results they get. Use their tools or use mine, their choice (but I have brushes I don't let anybody use, so those are off limits).

·
Registered
9 Posts
BCConstruction said:
They wouldn't have a job with me if they messed with the sprayer on a job that small. that would show they they have no idea what tool to use for the situation. may be different if your knocking out piss poor quality finishes though.
Well I think it's safe to say that you obviously have no clue how to paint. Any quality painter can spray a wall and door in 10 min with excellent results. But like I said, everyone and their mother think they can paint. Including you. Let me guess, you brush and roll your doors?? Amateurs

·
Registered
305 Posts
You're looking for a guy who can produce and who is reliable. Intelligence is a distant third. The only question I can think of is whether the candidate has had high achievement in other areas of his life. The state champ potato peeler would probably make a pretty good painter as well. An actual painting test makes a lot of sense, but even that won't tell you if the guy is going to physically and mentally show up. Maybe go with a probationary period.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
SawDustDon44 said:
Well I think it's safe to say that you obviously have no clue how to paint. Any quality painter can spray a wall and door in 10 min with excellent results. But like I said, everyone and their mother think they can paint. Including you. Let me guess, you brush and roll your doors?? Amateurs
Yep I have no clue how to paint. You carry on thinking that you do though. I will stick with quality over speed and you stick with speed over quality. there's customers who want both remember.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts

LOL, this is pretty funny:clap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
BCConstruction said:
Yep I have no clue how to paint. You carry on thinking that you do though. I will stick with quality over speed and you stick with speed over quality. there's customers who want both remember.
Remember, there is also speed and quality. It's called a professional... Which takes a little time my friend. If you keep listening to some of the more knowledgeable guys on here you might be able to call yourself one someday. You'll be spraying doors before you know it!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Me thinks, that you would not last long on one of my jobs...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts