Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Some felons have bad luck and some felons are just bad news. Either way I don't want either one around me or my business. I'm in business not social work.

That being said you'll be hard pressed to find a roofing crew without a couple excons in it. I just prefer to not have to spend my evenings bailing my crew out of jail so they can be on site in the morning.

·
PRO
1,936 Posts
For the most part I think it's safe to say that just about everyone that's above the age of 25 can say they've done something or acted in something that can be considered a felony and sometimes not even realize it. Something as little as opening someone else's mail or accepting cash for a job and not reporting it are couple that come to mind. Like it's been said above, depends on the crime.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I ahd a friend of mine that used to run to wild horse program at the state pen. He said if he got back into ranching all he would hire is cons. He said you have to choose the right ones/types but most come out and can not find a good job so when they do get a fair shake they are thankful and loyal. I know ranching and contracting aren't the same but I thought about it, we do a lot of work in customers houses so I have not yet taken the chance

·
Metal Stud Framer
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My take is this.

Real criminals are already in prison doing hard time with no chance on getting out anytime soon.
Granted some have done long stretches of hard time but being out is some kind of sign they either did ok while in or obviously they haven't gone back.

Then there is the fact that if they are even looking for a job then they must be trying to do something right.

The instructor for my ethics class is an ex SF, ex cop, ex lawyer and is part of the criminal justice program at my school. I found it interesting when he asked this question and his stanch on it all. He seems to think that not hiring ex felons who are looking to work just may be worse for society as they end up jobless and fall into their old habits or get desperate and commit crimes.

Regardless, in my 28 years of commercial construction I've seen some real scumbags that never spent one day in jail.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
I have used several felons and excons. None have ever worked out. I have hired addicts and they never worked out. I am a pretty generous sole, but my wife was right, it is not worth risking everything that I have worked and fought hard for to give a guy a chance. Especially if past behavior predicts future action, I will stick trying to find a clean cut guy that has his nose clean and is looking at the future. I know that we all have issues in our past, but as for felons and drug addicts, they can start their own business and show me that they have something at stake before I give them a chance.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I had hired a guy, early 20's, that was on the rebound. A couple month's into the job, he overheard me talking about buying a mattress set and quietly offered his services to help get me a really good deal. When I asked him how, he didn't want to answer at first, but fessed up that his buddy worked in a warehouse loading trucks. You get the idea. I chewed him out for that one, yet still kept him on. Then several weeks later I got a big story about why he couldn't work that week. It turned out to be b.s. and he was canned on the spot. He was not happy that I canned him, but maybe he learned some kind of lesson.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It all depends on what they did. Yesterday's pranks are today's felons some of the things I did in high school would have gotten me in more trouble now days

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
It all depends on what they did. Yesterday's pranks are today's felons some of the things I did in high school would have gotten me in more trouble now days
How do you figure a prank is a felon? What prank would be laughable and considered a felony?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have used several felons and excons. None have ever worked out. I have hired addicts and they never worked out. I am a pretty generous sole, but my wife was right, it is not worth risking everything that I have worked and fought hard for to give a guy a chance. Especially if past behavior predicts future action, I will stick trying to find a clean cut guy that has his nose clean and is looking at the future. I know that we all have issues in our past, but as for felons and drug addicts, they can start their own business and show me that they have something at stake before I give them a chance.
Rob, you may not have a choice in the future. This Wall Street Journal article discusses the "implicit" discrimination that is the result of not hiring ex-convicts as employees.

While I strongly disagree with the intrusiveness of this, I see the growing momentum behind an increase of regulations on businesses.

·
General Contractor
7,894 Posts
Not all guys out there with a felony record are bad guys. If you in the lock up for more then a year you're a felon. That could be tax evasion, or any other crime which poses no danger to society and the crime was committed because of greed or there was a window of opportunity to get fat.

That don't mean they don't deserve another chance when they get out or shouldn't be hired by anyone.

Don't worry, any bad ass out there, or a carer criminals, they not gonna be asking anyone for a job, so there is nothing to worry about.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Rob, you may not have a choice in the future. This Wall Street Journal article discusses the "implicit" discrimination that is the result of not hiring ex-convicts as employees.

While I strongly disagree with the intrusiveness of this, I see the growing momentum behind an increase of regulations on businesses.
You always have a choice. It's whether you are weak and go belly up or fight for your rights. I will never let a law jeopardize my family or their livelihood.

Nothing is stops a felon from starting their own business.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Not all guys out there with a felony record are bad guys. If you in the lock up for more then a year you're a felon. That could be tax evasion, or any other crime which poses no danger to society and the crime was committed because of greed or there was a window of opportunity to get fat.

That don't mean they don't deserve another chance when they get out or shouldn't be hired by anyone.

Don't worry, any bad ass out there, or a carer criminals, they not gonna be asking anyone for a job, so there is nothing to worry about.
I don't want a tax cheat working for me. If they will steal they steal. If they think the gov't owes them something and take it, what makes me any different. Will they not take from me when they think I am cheating them?

I will also not be someone's window of opportunity to get fat.

I am all for second chances, but I just don't have the time any longer for criminals. They have cost me too much and have never benefited my business.

I have had convicted murders, robbers, gang members, drug dealers and many others that could be considered bad asses ask me for a job. And I was gracious enough to do so.

·
General Contractor
7,894 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
I don't want a tax cheat working for me. If they will steal they steal. If they think the gov't owes them something and take it, what makes me any different. Will they not take from me when they think I am cheating them?

I will also not be someone's window of opportunity to get fat.

I am all for second chances, but I just don't have the time any longer for criminals. They have cost me too much and have never benefited my business.

I have had convicted murders, robbers, gang members, drug dealers and many others that could be considered bad asses ask me for a job. And I was gracious enough to do so.
It's all about a choice of individual who is doing the hiring and its each individuals decision to hire or not for what ever reason. If they do or don't there is nothing wrong with it.

With that said and having an open mind on the issue, there is probably 1 in 10 who cheat in one way or another...they just haven't been caught yet and that don't make them any better then any felon out there. Not to mention if people didn't have another chance in life, you wouldn't leave your house today without getting hit over the head and have your money stolen.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Ithey just haven't been caught yet and that don't make them any better then any felon out there.

Doesn't the fact that they didn't get caught make them better? :laughing:

Not to mention if people didn't have another chance in life, you wouldn't leave your house today without getting hit over the head and have your money stolen.
I am all for second chances. I have given my fair share, it's time for someone else to loose their shirt and waste their time.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Hiding teachers cars or other students cars locking people in lockers things like that
None of which would qualify as a felony. Intent goes a long way when charges are considered.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

I want to know where these regs are going to end. Are they going to force me to bring a sex offender in to people's homes? The government telling me I have to hire a felon (or else) is my line in the sand.

·
everything on hardwood
86 Posts
We've had felons before. Got one now, he worked for us before he got into drugs, quit, moved, got busted for dealing to support his habit, never spent any in jail, moved back. He is straight clean now, doesn't even drink. But a felon is a felon, right? Everybody deserves a second chance.
you have an open mind which is good, my personal experience however is that a felon IS a felon, so better work non-fellons..

·
Kitchen Cabinets NJ
1,099 Posts
For some jobs it doesn't matter for others it might.

New construction probably doesn't matter. Outside work, roofs, patios, etc probably doesn't matter. Service work and remodeling might be a problem with the customer.
I doubt the customer runs a background check on your employees. However it could be a problem if you live in a small community where everyone knows everyone.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts