Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I provide all tools. I schedule all jobs. They provide transportation, insurance, fuel.

Want to pay flat rate of $100/job (3 calls/day). Full time work.

Am I paying piece work employee or subbing?

They will not have time for sidework.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
I provide all tools. I schedule all jobs. They provide transportation, insurance, fuel.

Want to pay flat rate of $100/job (3 calls/day). Full time work.

Am I paying piece work employee or subbing?

They will not have time for sidework.
Sub-contractor has tools and everything else stated above, he also works his schedule in to your, or sometimes you have to wait a day or two for him to make it there if he is in the middle of something. Is not what you want to pay, is what he needs to charge to stay in business and make a living... in most cases the numbers are not much off between when you need to be and he needs to be, price always works out for both parties, GC and Sub contractor, no to mention that GC will provide constant work.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
In Canada it goes like this:

- Who's tools.

- Who's schedules.

- Who's vehicle.

You have 1 & 2 so they are employees.

Their insurance won't cover them for that type of use for their vehicles.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know here in u.s. if i schedule & provide tools that two big flags.

However, I don't want hourly. These are 3 hr jobs. So thats just silly. Hourly would lose. I would rather pay piecework because it would be win for everyone.

I just dont want to pay for a spare vehicle yet. If I do hourly, well pay gets chopped in half.

$15/hr to suit up no one would take it. Especially in short bursts.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I know here in u.s. if i schedule & provide tools that two big flags.

However, I don't want hourly. These are 3 hr jobs. So thats just silly. Hourly would lose. I would rather pay piecework because it would be win for everyone.

I just dont want to pay for a spare vehicle yet. If I do hourly, well pay gets chopped in half.

$15/hr to suit up no one would take it. Especially in short bursts.
I don't read ya Drift...if pay gets cut in half hourly at 15$...then pay them more.

You can pay an employee piece work.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its just the nature of a service based job.

Maybe thats what I am asking? How do you pay piecework and still do the taxes?

Doesn't that make for complex tax crap? Just want to keep it simple but legal.

Sometimes i ask the wrong questions, lol

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Not any more complicated than paying hourly.

Heck if it's 100 bucks a job and 3 jobs a day pay salary.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Piecework you have to track hours to be able to proce that they were compensated at a rate equivalent to minimum wage and overtime.

If not you have to make up the difference.

Piecework will get you better more consistent work. Make them come back for all mistakes and pretty soon there wont be any.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With piecework wouldn't I have to still pay for travel?

example:

I schedule a job at 9 a.m. & 2 p.m.. "employee" picks up toolbox in the morning and goes about his merry way. If he shows up at 6 a.m. then goofs off I aint payin for that.

Job 1 is done, & he goes home doodles the wife, watches t.v. , eats a healthy lunch, whatever... Well hes "off the clock". But when does he go back on the clock? arrival on jobsite?

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
With piecework wouldn't I have to still pay for travel?

example:

I schedule a job at 9 a.m. & 2 p.m.. "employee" picks up toolbox in the morning and goes about his merry way. If he shows up at 6 a.m. then goofs off I aint payin for that.

Job 1 is done, & he goes home doodles the wife, watches t.v. , eats a healthy lunch, whatever... Well hes "off the clock". But when does he go back on the clock? arrival on jobsite?
A good sub shows up early and never leaves the job site till his work is done !! Pack a sandwich and fill your thermos with coffee !!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've never heard of a GC providing tools to their subs. That's just unheard of. As far as the money goes, that needs to be worked out and agreed upon before hand. Sounds more like an employee situation if you are providing tools, setting the pay and dictating the time schedule. Give him an address, let him or her do their work and pay once the jobs are completed. That's all I do when subbing out work.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe if I define the job it will make more sense.

I will be hiring fir bathtub/countertop reglazing. This requirez an hvlp gun, pps cups, chemicals, scraper, cleaning pads, full face respirator, suit, gloves, rags, masking supplies. All of which fit into a mobile job box for effeciency.
The "employee" will sign out the job box for the day, pickup work orders, and go do them. At the end of the day, he/she will return the job box.

Each tub takes 3 hours to do max.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so they would be employees. That makes me responsible for withdrawing taxes, etc... correct? even on piece work? I like to just say "You did ten tubs this week, here's your check." trying to keep the math simple, but I guess I am over thinking it.

Payroll company it is then. yay for paperwork.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's really up to you whether you want employees or 1099 them as subs. If subbing out the work, you shouldn't be supplying anything as far as tools and safety equipment. If I was a sub, I'd be embarrassed to show up on a job and not have every possible tool needed.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats what the job box is for. Everything you need is in there. So no need to worry about missing stuff. That's why I'll keep it stocked.

I dont even want missing equipment, sundries to be a part of the equation.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts