Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiring: Chicago area siding subcontractors for Cedar siding and Fiber-cement siding.

We are looking for a good sub contractor crew to install cedar siding and fiber-cement (Hardie & weatherboards) for us. We are only interested in crews who have General Liability and Workmans Compensation insurances. You must have experience installing cedar and/or fiber-cement siding and have all your own equipment.

We pay quick and generously!

Contact Thomas at 847-729-3496

·
Registered
269 Posts
Grumpy said:
Hiring: Chicago area siding subcontractors for Cedar siding and Fiber-cement siding.

We are looking for a good sub contractor crew to install cedar siding and fiber-cement (Hardie & weatherboards) for us. We are only interested in crews who have General Liability and Workmans Compensation insurances. You must have experience installing cedar and/or fiber-cement siding and have all your own equipment.

What's considered generous in Chi town these days Grump?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$150 when no tear off is involved. Plus $ for extras. An owner operator can make gooood money at that rate.

I interviewed a few guys. One I was ready to give some work to. I asked what his lead time was and he said 2 weeks. A few days later I called him to tell him I was going to fax over the info, when can you start and it jumped to 4 weeks. I interviewed another guy and was ready to give him work but getting him to call me back was a nightmare. I had to call 2-3 times and hope he answered, even the guy who referred him to me called me up to complain about him. He didn't get any work.

I went back to my old sub, who hired more guys and now runs two crews. I told him I want the old crew on my job since I am familliar with their capabilities and we already know each other. He currently has 4 jobs from me in his schedule and another definite on the way with a couple maybes. Add it all up and it's at LEAST one month's work, with probably an additional month on the maybes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Damn Grumpy, 2-4 weeks? I coulda packed up my crew and commuted the 60-odd miles in less time than that. Unfotunately we are insanely busy right now anyhow. I have some side work coming up in Antioch in Sept that Im not looking forward to. Like any self-respecting Wisconsinite I try and stay out of Illinois as much as possible...LOL

·
Registered
269 Posts
My commute would be a tad over 6 hrs, but $150 a sq is what I get down here in the sticks of Mo, and honestly anyone that would waste good $$ on puttinmg up cedar siding, needs their head examined. Stuff requires too much maintenance, compared to Weatherboards, and a high quality vinyl is your best value in my book.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
housedocs said:
My commute would be a tad over 6 hrs, but $150 a sq is what I get down here in the sticks of Mo, and honestly anyone that would waste good $$ on puttinmg up cedar siding, needs their head examined. Stuff requires too much maintenance, compared to Weatherboards, and a high quality vinyl is your best value in my book.
Yeah same prices for cedar or weatherboards docs. Generically in this post when I was saying cedar siding I was referring to both wood siding of all types and fibercement siding.

I don't think vinyl, even high quality, has a realistic look to it. What I mean is you look at vinyl siding, even from down the street, and you know it is vinyl siding. At least with the weatherboards it can trick most people into thinking it's wood even as you are pulling into the drive way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looking for work

Grumpy said:

I'm a contractor for the MI. area. I would like to meet with you.
Contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think vinyl, even high quality, has a realistic look to it. What I mean is you look at vinyl siding, even from down the street, and you know it is vinyl siding. At least with the weatherboards it can trick most people into thinking it's wood even as you are pulling into the drive way.
Ah yes but that's what the minions of yuppies want, you see they want to look just like the Jones's next door. LOL I hear ya Grumpy, but as long as they keep calling, I'll keep installing, it's alot easier on the body than doing sheetrock. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good siding crew interested

Hello! My name is Lance and I own a siding company in Lincoln Nebraska and also do work in Wyoming. We are always looking to expand in other states. What you are offering sounds good and would love to talk to you further about work up in Chicago. We have been in business for 7 years, and I have a very experienced crew. I will be in Chicago March 16-18th and would love to have a chance to meet up with you.

[email protected]
Lance Roach
402-730-6333

1 - 9 of 9 Posts