Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My business has been picking up and I am on the verge of pulling the trigger to hire an assistant supervisor to help oversee my projects. This could free me up to sell more and grow to need more people. I was thinking of looking for military veterans to fill jobs.

Has anyone out there had any experience with hiring vets?

I know that there are vets are in need and I would like to help. Does anyone know the best pace to find such people?

·
Registered
819 Posts
if you advertise for the job you'll get a couple of responses from vets...i wanted to hire a young vet. also when i hired a laborer a few months ago....i ended up hiring one, but one from the 1980's(i hired an old guy)

·
Super Moderator
24,714 Posts
I can't figure how guys who are actively working in the trades have trouble finding help.

Especially now days, cell phones & texting...:thumbup:

A few well placed calls should get the cavalry coming...:thumbsup:

But don't forget they come at a price...

Now for an "assistant supervisor", in your mind you are already trying to play this guy down and pay less...you are probably trying to pay him less than he is worth.

A good hand is expensive, assistant super or not...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your best bet is to advertise for help and see what you get. You are looking for a good supervisor not a vet. I think you will get vets applying and you can bias your hiring criteria toward them. But looking for a vet first and then trying to narrow down to a good supervisor candidate is backwards,

Todd
www.emeraldstate.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts