Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I am in the planning (hoping to break ground spring 05) stages for building a summer/retreat/vacation home at a local lake near my house. This is going to be a family home, since my Dad donated the land and I will donate the house.

I found a GC firm a year back that we did some bids for. They never hired us because our price was too high for them BUT they have an interesting strategy. Theya re not realy GC's and more of construction managers acting as advisors but making no decisions themselves, on who to hire and what material to use. Their fee is 10k per project no matter what size.

My question is since I have planned to manage this project myself and sub out all the work, but act as the GC... Do you think it's worth the 10k to prevent silly first-timer type mistakes and basically buy an education?

P.S. If it works out I can see myself building a few houses here and there throughout my life time. Please also see my other post that got way off topic :) http://www.contractorschatroom.com/showthread.php?t=119

·
contractor
15 Posts
I would definately run the job yourself and act as GC. I cant forsee you making more then 10k worth of mistakes, that way in the end you will have gained the experience and the next house you do will be much smoother running. I have built many homes for different contractors and Construction Managers not to mention small banks and I end up doing most of their work anyway . Its only one small step to running your own, you will be amazed at how easy it is.

T

·
0 Posts
Why would you pay 10 large to someone who does little and accepts no responsibilities? Ask a GC just to overlook the various stages of construction when he is in the neighborhood and negotiate a discount rate.
Those guys will only educate you on how to lose money, or make it if you are them.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As my original post said, to prevent mistakes. I can picture well over 10k in mistakes possibly happening due to my lack of knowledge for the construction process. I do roofing and siding. When we do a job we are in and out within a day or two.

What I have done is decided to pay my carpenter extra to oversee the job. He is a good friend to the company I work for and built houses before. I plan to show up at least once a week, on Saturday or more as needed.

I'm talking to architects now to find one I am comfortable working with. After that I need to talk to septic engineers and get all my plans together for permiting. Then I seek a construction loan. Within 2 months I should have all my plans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Frist of all i wish u good luck with your project. I agree u need the plans drawn by an architect but i would check with the local health department on the septic plan befor hiring a septic engineer. The health dept. may design your septic system for you. At least thats the way its done here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts