Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m converting my garage into a workshop. It has a hipped roof which was constructed over a 100 years ago. I was hoping to lengthen/lower the collar ties In order to hang lights and support dust collection as it crosses the space but I’m worried I’ll wreck the ceiling.
After installing new ties I was planning to spray foam spray he rafter bays and clad with sound proofed drywall.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So you’re proposing to add hundreds of pounds of sheet rock to a hundred year old roof that most people would love having exposed. A different course would be to insulate on top of the roof sheeting and add new metal roof. Run your dust collection a little higher and add some decent lighting that will work better higher anyways. Higher workspace roofs are desirable and you can add a ceiling fan if you have heating issues. Just my opinion. Could paint the ceiling white but if it was mine I’d clean up the wood and spray a clear gloss finish. Probably cheaper than what you’re proposing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,480 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.