Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,446 Posts
How do you set them? I flop the lay in down and string or site plane em while someone runs down each truss nailing the lay in down. In other words i set the stepdown trusses with the lay in. It only takes a few minutes.
I just space the trusses with may 3 blocks across so they're at the right spot and have the bone shoot us up the Hat, walk around the Hat and nail it off,:blink:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Years ago we were doing a subdivision. The step down trusses needed the blocks inbetween. I got the truss rep out and showed him that if they dropped the height of all the step downs that we could then run continuous 2x4 on top of them.

No more angled blocks to cut. Saved us a ton of time. We used to sling with a boom truck the whole roof in 1 hour. Typically a 1600 sq. ft. roof.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
Hip truss systems are a pain in the.................

I don't think we've had one irregular work out right. The only time we did an equal hip, it was awesome. We had those "hats" that DWB is talking about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We do the california system here. There is no other way to go. We have done other systems and it is a pain. Typically we have to put some lu24 hangers on the girder for the jacks. I prefer to do that so that it will hold our jacks in place while we erect the trusses. We will put all the jacks on the girder on the ground and lift it up as a unit. Makes it easy to brace the rest of the trusses. The only problem we run into is when the truss company tries to save money and does not put an upright in against the girder truss and then we can't build them on the ground as easily. We do the midwest with a laydown gable on our large hips 50'+ because the top cord of the jacks gets to be too long. Midwest are easy to do but I do not like how the one face of the ridge does not line up with the egde of the flat 2X4. It seems like it is always off about a 1/4" and we end up cutting blocks to give us something to nail the plywood to. Irregular hips are not that big of a problem we just have them cut the jacks square to the short point of the jack and it works great. Trusses are great to work with but then again it all depends on the truss designer. I have a truss salesman that has done it for over 20 years and he always seems to amaze me on what he can do to make our job easier.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
these are the only half decent pics I have of the way our hips systems are made for us.

Attachments

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
i remember back in the day we would just nail the snot out of a 2x6 on the back side of the girder and push the layout and extra 1 1/2" and do it california style. :) fun times i hate rafter blocking.

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
dont worry Nick checked with truss manuf to see if all the webbing could handle this and we got the faxed over thumbs up. 78 units of towns later no truss infractions :)

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
dont worry Nick checked with truss manuf to see if all the webbing could handle this and we got the faxed over thumbs up. 78 units of towns later no truss infractions :)

no that was what are you talking about face :laughing:
i have a hard time visualizing that one.

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
Nick basically it's an over span between the girder and the first progression. That is the reason for the 2x6 with nailing pattern. It will still remain 22 1/2"

·
Registered
54 Posts
these are the only half decent pics I have of the way our hips systems are made for us.
That looks like a pain to do. Just have the truss company drop you top chords another 2" or what ever the heal for 2" would be and then you could just run your jacks over the top and your done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those are how ours come too. Ours call for 2x's run flat beside the jack rafters up to the hip ridge. Are the trusses you get always so perfect looking? Ours always look like something I would'nt even use for blocking.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts