Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm framing a hip roof with trusses for the fisrt time in 20 years, last ones on track houses in phoenix az. Do you still drop in a 2x6 dummy hip, that really carris no load? That's how we used to do it, is that standard hip truss framing on east coast as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's apparently a closely guarded secret, I like being able to look at my plans at least a couple days before I start a house, but this times its trial by fire, its all good, once I know the pitch I'll just cut the hip jack rafters according to the run, and nail something somewhere, itl work, I stick frame hip n vallys like a beast, but have only been setting gable roofs with trusses lately, I got this, I'll ask for a quick glance at the truss plan, thanks man, have a good one

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
Not sure why your truss plan is such a secret. I often can get a preliminary plan prior to any framing in order to bid. Once you see the truss plan, it will be a no brainer. Everything will be trussed, probably with dropped top chords to allow you to lay over with flat 2x4's.

·
Registered
818 Posts
All the hip trusses I've done (not many), they sent out a special truss made from 2x4's on the flat to lay over the trusses.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Not sure why your truss plan is such a secret. I often can get a preliminary plan prior to any framing in order to bid. Once you see the truss plan, it will be a no brainer. Everything will be trussed, probably with dropped top chords to allow you to lay over with flat 2x4's.
All the hip trusses I've done (not many), they sent out a special truss made from 2x4's on the flat to lay over the trusses.
I've only done 4-5 hip trussed roofs out here in CO. I just follow the truss design/spec sheet.... mine are perfectly detailed, and never had any problem....

What I'm confused about is what you guys above are talking about.
All my truss designs have had a "hip truss" (with jack trusses running off it). The hip truss simpsons right onto a girder truss.

I've done normal and inverted hips.... both very similar in design.

Maybe it's my snow loads in this area and there are different less expensive designs.... but I can't figure out what this "2x4 flat" stuff is.

Thanks for any info/explanation

Best

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thnx you guys, I figured this sits was just gonna bull**** homeowner crap, I built the hip ends on the ground, with subfascia, set them with machine, no crane, ripped a 2x4 on a 45, it lays flattish as a hip rafter, then hip trusses r 1.5 inches lower allowing for 2x4 on the flat nailers as hip jack rafters if you will. That was this setup, not the same everywhere. Now I 1.5 days to sheath the roof with a 4 man crew, including myself, and 2 of those guys r afraid of heights, love it,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts