Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bird Killer
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm about to get a Hilti PD40, but before I plunk down the cash...

I've heard from just about everyone that has one of the good laser measurement devices, that they are worth the money, and will change the way you work. Anyone that have one regret it?

Any other models in the price range I should be looking at? On the one had a factor for me to consider, besides Hilti's EXCELLENT service, and reputation, and the fact that they will have the tool as belonging to me if someone steals it and it ever gets serviced... Is that I have a great relationship with my Hilti rep. I'm good friends with his son, so I get even better service than usual. I typically buy everything I can from him because of this...

I'm a trim carpenter, almost entirely remodel. Lots of stretching tapes over furniture, crown, etc. And I work alone.

And how dust resistant is the 40?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have had a PD40 for over a year IIRC. I love it, its on my belt at all times and has absorbed alot of concrete and drywall dust and still works great. Good battery life too.

I do miss not having the scope of the PD42. I think if I were to go back in time I'd either get the PD4 and save the cash or go all out and get the PD42.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yes,

I should have added the following:

PD40 isn't great outside because it lacks a scope. That may sound simple but it is a big short coming. I don't care about on board calculations all that much, I never need to figure out area. I rarely use the corner stick too, although I think its a cool feature.

PD4 is somewhat useless outside since its a shorter less powerful laser. I would have probably been just as happy with the cheaper smaller PD4 since I've only used mine outside for short distances (camera mounting and specing).

Oh and for laying out ceiling fixtures they are the cat's meow.

·
Bird Killer
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually see myself using it outside a fair bit. One painter I work with uses me to repair all his damaged siding. Triangulating measurements figuring how much material.

Otherwise I also want the accuracy of the 42.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I got the pd42 last Feb. was not cheap at the time, but as they say- quality will outlast the sting of price.

its amazing! took me a while to fully figure out all the features- some I still don't quite get. I do wish they'd ship this item with a DVD so that I could really learn all of it. The instructions are? technical, and a little confusing. Nothing of use on utube either.

All that said, its so nice for exactly what you mentioned- not having to stretch your tape measure over top of furniture etc.

When doing crown, I find that if I am "very" careful its deadly accurate. I take 3 measurements, aim to the spot on the wall where the bottom of the crown will touch. I try not to have too much coffee on days that I need to use my pd42, shaking is not a positive thing! LOL

NOt sure if its me or my tape or what- but I find that I need to deduct 3/16" from my pd42 measurements on the actual piece- then it fits the wall almost exactly. This could be my tape measure? even when I've changed tapes its the same, plus or minus a skinny 1/32". I'm putting it in for its free calibration soon, but I suspect that its deadly accurate and the tapes are not.

One feature that woud be nice, is somehow to be able to adjust the laser slightly left or right while measuring. Sometimes the wall is out of whack a little bit, so that the laser beam itself hits the wall its parrallel to, not the opposing wall. Ihave to try to aim the pd42 and keep it really steady. On long runs that can be tricky.

I really love that sight glass feature!

Most clients are impressed with this item, makes you look like you know what you are doing! LOL

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Laurie, I hear ya about the laser hitting the wall, I find myself flipping it over or putting a shim on the back. Holding it free hand long distances is impossible.

It impresses people alot, especially when you calibrate home theaters. Watching others run around like chickens while you sit on your duff and take measurements feels good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts