Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
More likel an old "banker mason"/stone carver who was trying something out before wasting a piece that was already cut out of the quarry. Circular objects, especially if they aren't the length of the object are difficult to carve sucessfully

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've never once thought to bring my tools into the woods and practice.

Maybe I should do that.
I still take tools to the beach. Driftwood isn't only for burning.

Edit: In the last dozen years it's gotten harder: about 1/3 of the people out there think a pull saw is a weapon of mass destruction, and about half the rest think carving up a piece of driftwood is an environmental crime. Seriously, I've had some bizarre conversations with park police officers, along the lines of "why are you trying to hurt that log?"

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Seems like an appropriate thread to ask, "Have any of you guys ever used pins and feathers to split a rock?"

Helped my father in law split a pretty sizeable rock in his back yard to start finishing a retaining wall he's been working on for a few decades. It was awesome! Sure enough, you just wedge those little guys in there and it splits exactly where you drilled the holes. Remarkable. I don't know what I was expecting to happen, but I was blown away when it worked just like he wanted it to.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
yes.

There are other ways to split stone as well. If you drive in wooden wedges and completely fill the hole, you can put o hose on the wood and the swelling wedges will split the stone. But it takes a long time. If you live in a cold climate you can also drill holes and fill with water, cap them and go away until spring.

Checkout stonecutters blog quite a few months ago now, he showed a japanese method that was pretty wild.

Here it is http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/2012/10/more-fun-splitting-stone-more-video-links/

·
Registered
405 Posts
heres a few pictures from an old quarry around here. there is an artist colony/school where they concentrate on sculpture with metal and stone.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts