Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Educator of Codes
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nice part about this stuff is that you don't have to wet mix it for piers on decks. Just pour it in the hole.
True or False?

·
Educator of Codes
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Straight bs.
Correct. Sakrete will not guaranteed compressive strength if it is not wet mixed. We still see guys pouring in into holes dry, even for pole barn footers. Often the outside is encased in about an inch or so of hardness and the inside is still powder years later.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Correct. Sakrete will not guaranteed compressive strength if it is not wet mixed. We still see guys pouring in into holes dry, even for pole barn footers. Often the outside is encased in about an inch or so of hardness and the inside is still powder years later.
LoL I have a hard time thinking someone would do this. Got pics?

·
Registered
122 Posts
My two cents

many fence builders use dry mix in their fence post holes and many deck builders do as well. I do not subscribe to those notions.

I will say that Maximizer mixes a lot easer than Sackrete. This method only counts if you are poor like me and can only afford a wheelbarrow to mix your concrete in.

You get more volume and I think the stones in the mix are pumice because they are so light thus mixing is so much easer. Maximizer sets up at 5,000 psi where Sackrete is about half that.

You know I should get paid for this commercial!!

Have a great day.

Bob

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You really do not need much mix around a post in either a well dug hole.

The advantage with mixed concrete is that you get far better contact with everything (native soil and post) and maximum density with fewer voids.

After all, the native soil is far weaker than either good concrete or even a wetted dry dumped mix with voids. A dry dumped mix will never be as strong as wet mix that is properly proportioned.

Artistic Bob - In the Dallas area, a bagging company could not afford pumice or even a manufactured lightweight aggregate in a concrete mix. The best pumice is imported from Greece and is costly, but makes good concrete. Lightweight aggregate is cheaper because of energy costs and freight and it may be stronger than pumice if you really need high strength. Local heavyweight/normal are always cheaper because of local availability, a reliable supply. Most local concrete baggers use local aggregate (within 150 miles)Sakrete and all the others do not ship aggregate far because the product is price-oriented. I have seen bagging plants that bagged several brands and just switched bags when they made different brands.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A hack I worked for growing up would just dig a hole, dump the bags in and pour water over the concrete for footings. He'd also take big rocks, maybe 6" in diameter and throw them in the hole after a foot or two and say he hit bedrock. I learned a lot of what not to do from him :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I usually have truck mix brought in, it'd take a day and a half to mix the mud for this project 22"dia x 36" x 4 footings, 16" dia x 2, 12" dia x 3, and a slab 5'x8'. I think we've mixed bags on 2 or 3 projects in the last couple years.

Our footings often look like this.

View attachment 113506
Robert, is that a sprinkler to wet down your dry concrete?:whistling

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I saw a related project in Ar. a very upscale area houses started out in the $900,000 range.

Retaining wall 30 ' high constructed by pilling up bags of redi mix with the wrapper still on. Not sure how they did the deadmen as it was still in the air. The 3/4 - was crumbling out the whole project looked ready to collapse .

I asked around while I was building an ipe deck close by. It was a home owner special. He had also built a room addition using a PT deck as the platform. The place had been repoed by the bank so I got to look around inside. What was left of a grow room in the garage looked professional . Far Out Man !!! :rockon::rockon:

J.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok Dick you got me.

What I should have said is that I do not know what they are using in Maximizer to mimic rock or gravel. I just know, because I have mixed a lot of concrete in wheelbarrows, that is much easer to mix than Sackrete.

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.