Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in need of heavy duty.... heavy heavy duty gate hinges... A customer (and friend) has a sliding gate that is in disrepair. He wants to make two regular type gates on hinges instead of one long sliding gate. The problem is, on the fence side, it is a schedule 40 2 3/8 galvanized post and the gate side is 2" heavy square tubing. I want something strong enough to not need a wheel at the bottom. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Do the Dude ranch Gate and have a brace at 14-15' above the drive with "neverland" or whatever... buy a book on fencing, read it? maybe?

Think triangles, tie the king posts at their tops back top the adjacent bottoms , Double/triple the posts?? cheap, fill with next smaller posts...

keep gates as light as possible, spread hinges as far apart vertically as possible.

Add two posts 12-18" away from gate post, one in line with fence, the other equally spaced on the opposite side of the open gates.Triangle in plan view) form a "radio" lattice tower with straight and diagonal braces,= super rigid 2" gate post.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
High Quality Hinges

I really am missing your point, and believe that the "buy a book on fencing, read it? maybe?" comment was a stab at my abilities in fabricating something like this. So let me explain further.

My customer is adamant about keeping his existing gate, and making it two swinging gates, so keeping it light as possible is out of the question.

I am fully capable of making the gate braced to where it won't budge an inch when we get our normal 70-85mph gusts of wind that his SW fence/gate is very susceptible to being out on the outside of town.

So to recap, I need high quality hinges as the title of the post suggests, and not information on how to do the job that, if I am putting myself out there as a fence contractor, I should know how to do... right?

High Quality Hinges, from 2 and 3/8 galvanized posts, to 2" square tubing. Link would be awesome.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Try Hoover Fence Co & Supply
I bought a lot of stuff from them
They have a huge variety and ship them right to you

I'll be surprised if you don't find what you need

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
You could install ten hinges rated at 1000 lbs each with needle thrust bearings making a continous "piano" hinge on each leaf of the gate, but your post and pipe will deflect near the ground. Think load path, Gate is 8-12' long lever on the hinges ATTACHED to the post that 24 to 36 times as tall as it is wide. When the gate opens there is NO bracing for the loaded direction. The Gate's piping proablely deforms at the hinge points with garden varetity hinges....

Hang the gate as is, give yourself, then the owner a lesson in engineering mechanics, lean on the gate a couple of times when closed or even when closed, it'll be dragging like my laborer @ 4 PM friday.

Call Obama for some Hopey Changey magic stuff maybe?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts