Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Bill - I see we are almost neighbors.

Funny you post this, as I was pricing a job a few weeks ago and noticed how horrible the trim work was in the entire house (not just the stair rail), and I know the homes were in the 650-900k range.

How did they terminate that wainscot at the bottom of the stairs?

·
Pro
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,

Do you live in Wayne?

The wainscot is just ogee stuck on the drywall, then the drywall is panited the same as the trim. They just painted a line where it ends at the bottom of the stairs, then continued up the stairs with the wall color. There is a whole lot more than just this in this house but I could not get any pics of the upstairs because the owner was there. She just settled on this two weeks or so ago.

Here is a shot of a major head banger on the other side of the basement. :rolleyes:

Bill

Attachments

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Bill,

Yea, resident of Wayne - right around that mess known as routes 202, 422, and 76.

The pictures had me fooled - I though it was actually wainscot - should have guessed some ogee and paint.

I like that "soffit" for lack of a better term. Seems hard to justify anything beyond that as usable living space...

·
Pro
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark - I lived in Delaware county for 20 years, in between Chester and Ridley, but most of my work has been on the "Main Line". I moved to West Chester (actually West Bradford twp) in 2006.

BTW, that house is in Wayne. It is off of K of P road by the golf course.

Bill

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Bill - I grew up in Ridley Township. Been working on the main line for about 10 yrs, moved to Wayne a little over a year ago.

Not surprised the house is in Wayne - been seeing a lot more of these type of hack jobs in higher end homes lately.

·
Pro
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WTF is with this? Did they have some left over balusters from another job they just wanted to use up? :blink:
I could not understand why they did not continue up on the same line. I guess since those spindles hit the ceiling they figured they would treat them different. The whole thing is a cluster %$#@. The newel is not plumb, spindles are not plumb, wall rail and guard rail are not parallel, and it would not come close to holding 250 lbs of force.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,609 Posts
It's beautiful :rolleyes:

Any hack would be proud to display that type of craftmanship. Or not.

·
Pro
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks like they hired the lowest bidder for the basement finish...please tell me the rest of the house doesn't look like this :blink:

The rest of the house has a lot of its own defects, maybe not to this extent, but nothing I would put my name on. This woman did not have the work done but man did she get screwed with this place.

Here is another pic for everyone. This is part of the radon evacuation system. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Pro
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please tell me that isn't some clear plastic dome sealed to both the pipe and floor with construction adhesive a nd the pipe is dangling in there.
Sorry Dave, but yes, it is plexiglass that has construction adhesive smeered on with a tree branch maybe. :laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,609 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts