Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of ya'll own a high end *cooler*. Just short of bragging rights, what's your PRO for having one.

Did some informal testing lately with my heavy 75 Brute Cooler. Standalone weight is around 31lbs on the home scale. The Coleman Marine Xtreme at 17lbs.

Dumped half a case in each, loaded it up with ice and kept it on the truck.
At the end of day5, the Beastly Heavy as hell Brute fared only marginally better than the coleman. I also considered Pelican when I was purchasing one, and their 65qt was 45lb.

Just curious what ya'll get out of a high-end cooler.....
For me, I just ordered one as I wanted to see what the roto-mouled coolers were all about...

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I have a commercial ice maker in my garage so I have no problem refilling a cheap cooler with ice every day.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I bought the pelican elite. As a comparison we have a couple of igloo's the same size. Cost to fill the igloo in 2 weeks $80 but cost to fill the pelican elite $12 plus the igloos were both in a house at 65f and the prlican in the back of my bed on black bed liner in 90f.

It gets old going to get ice every day. The lid snapped of one of the igloos in about a week but the worst part was the push on drain plug cap would pop off once ice melted enough and water pressure would pop the cap off. Not a big deal outside but inside not great.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
KillerToilet- Are you one of those that must have ~fresh ice~. That has got to be one of heavy on utilites, assuming you keep it wired in and it does the make fresh ice, melt old ice, make fresh ice, etc - routine. I considered one as well as I love ~fresh ice~ but it was not worth the cost, plus cutting a new drain trough, plumbing, etc for the unit.

BCC - Pelican is a awesome brand. Their ice box was too ~industrial looking~ for my taste. When I say awesome, case in point. I have couple of their boxes. One of them - the wheels started cracking. Called them up, they did not ask for receipt, paperwork, etc. Asked me what model I had and within a couple of days, they sent me new wheels for all 4 corners. They really do stand behind their ~lifetime~ warranty

Those playmate coolers won't keep ice for any decent time. I don't believe the tops of the lids on any of that model lineup are insulated. However, the reality is that any of the cheap conventional Marine Grade 5-6 day rated coolers really DO perform on a similar performance plane as these fancy schmancy roto moulded cooler.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Have a small waeco/dometic. Just need power. It obviously doesn't cool as cold as ice, but when you can pull out ice cream cones and italian water ices at the end of a hot day, the look on the sub's faces is impressive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Heh. What spawned this thread was after loading them up, when all said and done, I always tend to grab the the lighter cooler, that is 1/7 of the price of the expensive one and almost 1/2 lightr, and it gives me just the same performance for my needs.....and it takes up less space to boot.

Nontheleast, the boaters/fisherman do buy these roto moulded boxes so I'm sure it serves a market that can actually squeeze the $ to use ratio out of them....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought the yeti 65, found a place that offered a one time 20 % off coupon, plus I had racked up a fair amount of capital one money back. So in essence it was free.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought a buyou ice box and love it, half price of yeti per size, I got the 73qt for 200, the positive for me is i live ten or so miles from any store, and most jobs I may not pass a store so it's a time and money saver to only need Ice once a week vs every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
KillerToilet- Are you one of those that must have ~fresh ice~. That has got to be one of heavy on utilites, assuming you keep it wired in and it does the make fresh ice, melt old ice, make fresh ice, etc - routine. I considered one as well as I love ~fresh ice~ but it was not worth the cost, plus cutting a new drain trough, plumbing, etc for the unit.
I got the ice maker for free on a restaurant remodel, it is in my attached garage which also contains my laundry room that has a floor drain and water supply in it, and the unit's storage section is also a freezer, I unplug it in winter months to keep it from becoming a glacier.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts