Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've worked with this stuff from time to time working for somebody else. A job has been directed towards me where they want high abuse/impact resistant drywall. I called up a local supplier to get an idea of what a 4x10x5/8 sheet would cost and they told me 79 dollars!!! Does this seem right?

I have installed this stuff before and I absolutely hate it as its much more time consuming to hang/cut and finish.

One problem I have with the finishing is it seems that every few screws will bulge out the rock around the screw head which becomes a nightmare when it comes to finishing. Do you guys have these same problems, any products you would reccomend and any to stay away from?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hang and finish all of my own rock. These "bumps" only seem to happen with this high abuse crap (its like hardi backer board in a lot of ways) . In the past I've always smashed them in with a hammer sometimes breaking the paper. Just wondering if there is something iam doing wrong with thia stuff for it to happen so much? Maybe try backer board screws?

My main concern with this job is the material cost. 2 bucks a square foot for drywall seems awefully high. Ill probablly just triple my typical labor price in the estimate because I hate this stuff so much.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
I hang and finish all of my own rock. These "bumps" only seem to happen with this high abuse crap (its like hardi backer board in a lot of ways) . In the past I've always smashed them in with a hammer sometimes breaking the paper. Just wondering if there is something iam doing wrong with thia stuff for it to happen so much? Maybe try backer board screws?

My main concern with this job is the material cost. 2 bucks a square foot for drywall seems awefully high. Ill probablly just triple my typical labor price in the estimate because I hate this stuff so much.
Never had a job with the stuff. However if I had the mushroom problem your talking about I might be tempted to run with nails for the walls.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No the core is MUCH denser and there is fiberglass mesh sheets inside the drywall. Its used a lot in institutional detention centers (where this job iam looking at is) and psyc wards. It weighs 2.8 llbs per sq foot.

There are even some others up to 3.5 lbs per sq foot.

EDIT: You were right, the paper is a little thicker as well.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It's for flat roofs. It's drywall but for paper it's got fiberglass sheets. I'd rather go play in a field of poison ivy naked
If there is a hell I think it would be nothing but carrying and installing drywall.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I've worked with this stuff from time to time working for somebody else. A job has been directed towards me where they want high abuse/impact resistant drywall. I called up a local supplier to get an idea of what a 4x10x5/8 sheet would cost and they told me 79 dollars!!! Does this seem right?

I have installed this stuff before and I absolutely hate it as its much more time consuming to hang/cut and finish.

One problem I have with the finishing is it seems that every few screws will bulge out the rock around the screw head which becomes a nightmare when it comes to finishing. Do you guys have these same problems, any products you would reccomend and any to stay away from?
I was offered a good deal on this stack. He wanted me to hang a 1000 s/f addition with it. I refused .

Attachments

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resources/faqs/xp.htm

Here is the product that I have been looking at.

What does densarmor run for a 4X10X5/8's sheet? Maybe I will go that route if the price is substantially cheaper. Doesn't densarmor have to be completely skim coated to come out right? I have never really worked with it.
I've had good luck with spraying and back rolling a viscus paint like Behr, it covers all those fibers.

Just got some 5/8's it's actually purple instead of yellow. Come to think of it my hanger never did give me the receipt for the break down so I can't tell you the price.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea iam not really in a position to refuse the work as this is a couple hundred sheet job and I just dropped 3 grand on automatic taping tools..... I am in the position however.... to charge out the wazoo. Which I will do. There was another contractor that bid the job a few months back at 230/sheet PAINTED...I did the math.. so.... I got a lot of room to play here. Even at $80/sheet for material...

I think iam going to look into the pricing on the densarmor as they have high impact/abuse line. Ill even throw in the level 5 finish for free and still make out like a bandit.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
No the core is MUCH denser and there is fiberglass mesh sheets inside the drywall. Its used a lot in institutional detention centers (where this job iam looking at is) and psyc wards. It weighs 2.8 llbs per sq foot.

There are even some others up to 3.5 lbs per sq foot.

EDIT: You were right, the paper is a little thicker as well.
Did a jail once upon a time (drywall). Just don't misplace the pass key at lunch, or toss your used blades on the floors like we did. :no:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts