Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

Has anyone found a good alternative for relocating receps off the backsplash walls? Anyone use powerstrips tucked under wall cabs?

Any feedback and especially photos appreciated.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I thought about using those commercial power strips mounted under a cabinet, but my main concern was people would get shocked too easily.

Picture this, a person can't see the outlet, doesn't want to bend down.. so they guide the plug in their fingertips and zap. :no:

especially not with a 20 amp circuit

I wonder though, do they make those tamper resistant or GFCI?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just saw one of those pop-ups today.

When down/closed, the cap is silver-like finish.

Have to be careful not to install over a base cab with drawer!

Also my code in CT says I need an outlet for every 2 feet of countertop!

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
I’ve done under cabinet outlets a couple of times. Won’t do it again unless the homeowner has a wad of cash. The first one went bust – failed inspection (over 18” off countertop).

Neither client was all that happy with them. One they’re a pain to plug something into and two the cords hang from the bottom of the cabinet when something is plugged-in.

Be careful what you wish for :no:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wonder if it would pass code to recess them in the wall and tile over a removable cover. Magnetic catches to hold the cover in place.

Anybody know if this is allowed?

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
I wonder if it would pass code to recess them in the wall and tile over a removable cover. Magnetic catches to hold the cover in place.

Anybody know if this is allowed?
Most times, on a kitchen that is used as a kitchen, an appliance is plugged into at least one side of the duplex. I know all of the recepts in our kitchen have something plugged in. Is it allowed, just don't put the covers on for the inspection.

As stated by Eaglei, they're a necessity.

Tom

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Most times, on a kitchen that is used as a kitchen, an appliance is plugged into at least one side of the duplex. I know all of the recepts in our kitchen have something plugged in. Is it allowed, just don't put the covers on for the inspection.

As stated by Eaglei, they're a necessity.

Tom
Solar powered coffee makers, toasters, can openers and blenders would solve that problem :jester:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a designer, when I have a customer that wants a tile backsplash, we choose the tile color carefully, knowing the colors available for backsplash devices and plates. My customers appreciate that I am thinking ahead about this issue.:thumbup:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
As a designer, when I have a customer that wants a tile backsplash, we choose the tile color carefully, knowing the colors available for backsplash devices and plates. My customers appreciate that I am thinking ahead about this issue.:thumbup:
As a designer, when I have a customer that wants something I know to be stupid (i.e. under cabinet outlets), I have a responsibility to inform them of my experience. My customers appreciate my warning them :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts