Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the years (that is, since 1976) I've been involved, on occasion, with building hidden storage, or a hidden passageway into a room of someone's residence that served, more or less, as a sanctuary for them (actually, it was a prayer room). I've employed various methods/techniques, but sadly any of the pictures I had saved from years passed were all lost either in a move, or when a computer was stolen (I actually have very few pics of anything any longer, other than recent ones).

Anyway, I find the methods and techniques fascinating when it comes to building hidden storage or a hidden passageway. I am hopeful of a few folks sharing what they may have built over the years, especially techniques and/or materials used.

I have a couple examples to follow of what I'm talking about:

I have built a couple of these pivoting stairs based upon a Finehomebuilding article.

(I'm having difficulty posting the image, so I've just linked my photobucket account picture that follows)

http://s585.photobucket.com/user/cl...a73d1248-26d8-4dcd-8f34-57f829f5dc14.jpg.html

Then there is an awesome hidden doorway that Gary Katz has shared:

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2012/05/11/hidden-pivot-bookcase-katz/

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has anything to share?

I am getting the notion that I might have posted this in the wrong place?

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
Well I didn't build this.
But, I recently did an interior repaint in a home that had a hidden movie theater behind a large bookshelf. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool! Thanks for sharing that!

The door looks as though it might be something similar to what Gary Katz did in the article/video I provided a link to. The door apparently pivots and is not on rollers, as there is carpet underneath it. Looks like whoever built it did a nice job!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I did a small hidden space in a big closet to hide a safe. Built the walls around the safe, hinged a solid flat door in the opening, glued a mirror to it and put a frame around it. Was tricky but the guys here turned me on to Soss hinges and I did an RV cabinet door catch so they had to push it to release it.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
No one has anything to share?
I am getting the notion that I might have posted this in the wrong place?
I've built a few of them, but it's sort of defeating the purpose of posting pictures of something hidden, dontcha think?

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've built a few of them, but it's sort of defeating the purpose of posting pictures of something hidden, dontcha think?
I was hopeful of sharing various materials and techniques, which of course would have a certain educational value. I wasn't hopeful of getting folks to share names, addresses, or expose anything that would compromise their security/well-being. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be a way to share information (even pictures) without compromising security/well-being.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a small hidden space in a big closet to hide a safe. Built the walls around the safe, hinged a solid flat door in the opening, glued a mirror to it and put a frame around it. Was tricky but the guys here turned me on to Soss hinges and I did an RV cabinet door catch so they had to push it to release it.
Sounds like a very good solution. I assume the safe is now, more or less, a permanent fixture in the house?

Yes, the Soss hinges are excellent choices. I have used these on many occasions. IIRC, there is another manufacturer that has a comparably excellent hinge/system. I am not remembering the name, however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts