Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
been crazy winter here north east. Tons of ice damming. Anyone have any problems with the screws from the quickscrew gutter hangers snapping? Had a few call backs from gutters pulling away. Went there and screws were snapped in about half dozen hangers? Could one have snapped and created snowball effect with rest? Been doing this since the days of spikes and only this year have seen issues?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Very common. If u read the directions on the hangers they usually say dont use an impact gun. Its really easy to over torque the screws and they will sheer easy when under load later on with snow and ice

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
must be a weight thing as well. Seems to only happen on 6" and this is the first year weve experienced this. Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Not sure what quickscrews are.... but I like Timberlocks.... little more expensive, but they sure won't shear.... and we have heavy snowloads and plenty of ice dams.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quickscrew guess generic name for hidden hanger with screw. Prob tons of different companies make them.. If timberlocks work well in colorado something i should really look into. Must be business's out there that just deal with ice damming lol

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
Yes I did. A gutter job we did maybe 3 years ago pulled away from the back of the house. In fact I have to get back there. I have never seen this before with the lag style screw I was shocked. And I have been at this a long time myself.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Quickscrew guess generic name for hidden hanger with screw. Prob tons of different companies make them.. If timberlocks work well in colorado something i should really look into. Must be business's out there that just deal with ice damming lol
Oh NY.... I didn't know you meant a hanger... I thought you were refering to a "spike through gutter" application.

I won't use hangers... even though they (depending on style) make cleanout a little easier. (For our loads, I think they bend and are messier)

I don't think they even make a Timberlock short enough for a hanger application.

Best

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtn i looked it up timber lock i guess is a big lag bolt.. Everyone uses hidden hangers with screws here. imo a gutter bolt the size of a spike would be the strongest but dosnt look as neat and would take more time. The ice we had this year was not the norm.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
Besides looking nice the lag is supposed to resisted the expansion from ice that loosens up thos spike & ferrules. Maybe the excessive cold and ice is too much for a screw. This has been an extra brutal winter.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mtn is exactly right the weight shears the screw and once one or two go its lights out..Friend did job around the corner with hangers every 16" and still fell right off building

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
mtn i looked it up timber lock i guess is a big lag bolt.. Everyone uses hidden hangers with screws here. imo a gutter bolt the size of a spike would be the strongest but dosnt look as neat and would take more time. The ice we had this year was not the norm.
NYGutt... Yes, it takes more time unequivically.... but unless you have
visual exposure to the top/inside of the gutters, it is pretty minimal visual exposure.

I do land them in framing (just have 1X facia).

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Try Raytec hangers with screws. A better quality screw and bracket maybe the original i'm not sure.

The difference is not just the screw. The Raytec has a higher stronger arch that holds the outside lip of the gutter better.

The screw already in the hanger is genius for gutter hangers.

Have you looked into the Leaf Relief New Construction that eliminates the hanger all together?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny you say that i just ordered a box of hangers from raytec should be here tue. The few troubled gutters didnt have any unfolding of the front like youd see with snow coming down metal roof just a crappy screw. Ive seen leaf relief. Not sold on it. Im not big into gutter covers. Do them but certain homes wont offer.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea but take a serious amount of ice to take it down..Been using forever dont see myself changing anything..Maybe ill like the raytec . More expensive but worth the extra 15$ a house if they are as superior as they claim.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had this happen on several jobs last year....and it wasn't a load issue because this happened to me of a summer on brand new gutters, before it snowed. I just stopped by the house to check on a roof fan we installed and noticed like 6-8 screws sheared, called my gutter guy and he said they had a bad batch of hangers. That got me to thinking about other jobs and I went and found 2-3 other houses with the same thing.

I don't know if the guys over tightened them or what.....but I doubt that since these guys have done my gutters for years and never seen it before. They did have a new guy helping though.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
havn't seen any screws actually snap- but have seen a few pop loose after they were over driven and stripped their own hole

a bit more common to see the front edge of the gutter come un-hooked--- from ice impact.

a lot of old tudors here with very small fascia which won't allow proper position of the gutter to avoid that impact.

we used to use the ode hanger- but they all seem to be raytech here now.
stephen

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
Try Raytec hangers with screws. A better quality screw and bracket maybe the original i'm not sure.

The difference is not just the screw. The Raytec has a higher stronger arch that holds the outside lip of the gutter better.

The screw already in the hanger is genius for gutter hangers.

Have you looked into the Leaf Relief New Construction that eliminates the hanger all together?
All I buy now is Raytec Hangfast. I think the arch makes a difference. I also like the fact that I buy direct from the manufacturer. I'm getting a better hanger for less money than my local supplier sells inferior hangers for.
A little off topic, but I also like their "REAL" brand covers. Made for these hangers and has a lip on the rear that flips under the drip edge.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cresent..I think im going to make the switch this spring. Probably worth the extra 20$ per house. The problem i saw was the screws snapping with a few cases of the hanger unfolding..Im sure you guys get a crap load more snow up there than down here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts