Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done this before, looks like I could use the ipe clips with longer screws.

I am not sure they would go for the look of plugs on the whole thing.

Fastening from underneath is a no go. Pretty sure I will even have to find some sort of aesthetically pleasing hanger that could be powder coated.

This would be Garapa 2x6 if that matters.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Are the boards pre-grooved?

I've never installed 2x6 garapa. 2x6 is a lot of cupping power so I'd still push for screw and plug. I've had some cupping with thick meranti and Eb-Ty clips but meranti and garapa are in different leagues for stability. The Ipe Clip Extreme looks like a solid product.

Another product you might consider is Camo. It seems like a DIY product but I found that it had some serious holding power on composite with two screws at every joist. I haven't used it on hardwood. Any system on a square edged hardwood is going to be pretty slow.

If it's grooved then TC-G is my favorite.

Edit: Thanks to Eric, everyone now knows it took me 6 minutes to type this damn post.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
The ipe clips will work for 2x material but I grooved them myself in that case. I have a router setup specifically for pregrooving random boards on a deck for 5/4.

Set the depth to about 7/16". What I do when I'm forced to pre groove anything onsite, is mark about 5-7 boards at a time where the rafters land and just groove about 3". The nice thing about grooving them yourself is the clips are really tight so after grooving I'd throw a clip in it and set it down. Then when time to install all I had to do was drill and screw.

I ended with a system on the last one where I could almost do it as fast as pre-grooved being I didn't have to push my forefinger against the clip, I never had a groove not deep enough, etc , etc.

It works, takes a little getting used to but if your used to the clips, doesn't take as long as I thought it would.

Eb-ty= yuck pre grooved or no. Tiger claw is good but couldn't imagine using them on 2x exotics. That being said plug is best.

Edit: buy two router bits when doing it with garapa because it destroyed my bits super fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.