Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find out about a deck tool another contractor said he saw at a demo. I've got a 1250 sf deck coming up. I'm planning on using Trex Contours and Tiger claw TC3's. Does anyony know who makes it, what it's called, how much it costs, and if it's worth it vs a sledge hammer? Thanks. R.A.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
The new tigerclaw fasteners are looking good to me,ya know the kind TimberTech is pitching. If I was going to use the clips I would use those.

J.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've been trying to find out about a deck tool another contractor said he saw at a demo.

Does anyony know who makes it, what it's called, how much it costs, and if it's worth it vs a sledge hammer? Thanks. R.A.
You're not very specific in what deck tool you're looking for. There is a tool out there called the TigerClaw TC gun which shoots nail-screws through the tigerclaw or TimberTech ConcealLoc fasteners...is that what you're thinking of? If yes, try this thread - http://www.contractortalk.com/f50/tiger-claw-gun-review-60918/

Mac

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Spend the money on the tool... tapping the boards into the TC-3 is a pain in the a$$! Whatever the cost of tool you will save in frustration and time trying to tap them in. I predrilled and still had problems with boards trying to "climb". Greg Di mentioned the Tiger Jaw in the Azek deck thread mentioned above. I'd look for that... Or use another fastener system.

Reactions: ronniearnello

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help!

I had posted the same question on PDB mag site and no one answered. Neo..., I did try the search button before I posted and the link you sent me never came up...thanks again.:clap:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Confusing deck question

BuiltbyMAC is right, it seems you are asking about a tool to take apart decks but then it also seems if you are asking about what tool to use to install your hidden deck fasteners? Which is it? :confused1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
demo-STRATION

As I asked later on, is it better than the sledge hammer? Using a sledge hammer sucked, I swore I'ld never use Tiger Claws again. The TIGER JAW is what I believe what my co-contractor was refering to. I see it on their web site, but it has few details and no price. My dealer has no idea, I'm waiting for a reply to an email inquiry I sent to Tiger Claw. Has anyone used one? -RA

·
109 Posts
Hey Deck builders.

I believe he is referring to the Tiger Jaw. It is used to install the drive in fasteners from Tiger Claw, or any fasteners that require driving the board onto fasteners. It can also be used to hold boards in place that are not straight while you screw them down. You will find many uses other than just installing Tiger Claw.

It is new. Production runs have not even started. Tiger Claw did get some into the hands of your fellow deck builders. Everybody we got them to seems happy with the performance of the tool.

Right now the tool is $150. If you want to try one no charge give them a call. If there is a rep in your area they will bring it to your job site along with the fasteners.

Call Tiger Claw at 800 928 4437 ask for Greg Hartmann

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

When / how can I buy one for myself? Do you sell direct? Will it work with the TEBO fastener? I went to the Tiger Claw web site and see it, picture not clear. Could'nt get the instructions.:mad: It looks smooth in the video. Thanks -RA

·
109 Posts
When / how can I buy one for myself? Do you sell direct? Will it work with the TEBO fastener? I went to the Tiger Claw web site and see it, picture not clear. Could'nt get the instructions.:mad: It looks smooth in the video. Thanks -RA
Ronnie,

If you want to get the Tiger Jaw. Call Tiger Claw ask for Greg H or go to your local supplier. ***** or Ridge Supply are the closest to you that have brought in the Jaw. If they are not close enough to you, tell your supplier they can bring them in from Parksite. Tell them to call me if they do not know what you are asking for.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Awwwwwwwwww did ronie get a little off center????

Cant find his conectors??? And would not know what to do with them if he could?? Im pretty sure I bid against you last week. The one in the 78 chevy truck right?? with the laders sticking out the windows???

JonMon<<<< Total yucking it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
ghhartman

I called both ***** and Ridge and was told they don't have any in stock but I could place an order. They didn't know when they would have them. I also called and asked for you at Tiger Claw, the girl said you were out. I asked about buying one direct and she said I could but you don't have any and wasn't sure when they would be back in stock. Do you have anyone else who would sell one, even a used one so I can start this deck? RA:sad:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts