Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
my name is Mauro,i'm 28 and i'm a furnituremaker and a carpenter in Sweden,i'm actually Italian but i moved to Sweden 3 years ago;i'm sure i will find in this forum a resource of valid info and professional people for exchange of ideas and suggestion..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Welcome to the boards Snickare85! Post some of your pictures when you get the chance. Share good Italian - Swedish woodworking tips when you have them. You'll find plenty here as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome,i will share some pictures of my work,unfortunately i don't have so many pictures,expecially about more complex work i did,but anyway..i'm actually in the process of learning about stairmaking and framing skills,i'm very interested in learn from you people with more experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Tack så mycket Timeless Quality..have you worked in Sweden or do you have Swedish roots?
No, just live near a concentrated settlement of Swede's...

I do have a Dala Horse hanging outside:thumbsup:

Would love to see your country someday

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No, just live near a concentrated settlement of Swede's...

I do have a Dala Horse hanging outside:thumbsup:

Would love to see your country someday
AHAAHA funny place..!i actually live now in a place very close to Dalarna,the place were the Dala horse come from,here the "Träslöjd " is quite an art..(Sloyd=i don't know if whittling is the right translation,anyway you get it..) where did you find your Dala Horse?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
this is some example of Träslöjd that i did some time ago in my .Träslöjd school.how you can see is quite fun and is about also making classic swedish woodenware,for example spoons,boxes and working with green wood and only hand tools(axes,knives planes ecc..) the fish box it was actually a piece that come from a poplar trunk that we putted down in the forest,after that it was allowed to dry very slow with the amazing "rubbing potato"technique..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Snickare85 said:
where did you find your Dala Horse?
They actually hand carve them at the Dala horse factory in Lindsborg Kansas. Lol.

They call the town 'little Sweden'

Nice carving work there... Is the fish a chest?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi again,curious that they make Dalahorse in Usa,the name of the town also,Lindsborg..sounds very swedish..the fish is a little box,yes,practically,it was carved all in on piece,except for the tail that stick out from the fisherman's box..most of the work was done with the knife..another thing that we learned in school is also how to make your whittling knife,and how to sew the cover for the blade in leather..i will take a picture of my carving knife the next time..i talked about the method for drying the wood preventing cracking..this is maybe interesting for you guys..practically you boil a potato and you rub the piece of wood with this boiled potato..the moisture will penetrate much less allowing the wood to dry much slower..an alternative is put the wood in a plastic bag with wood shaving..it takes quite long time..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HI Reg,
thank you so much for your compliments,i worked a little more with curved stuff in the past but unfortunately i don't have any pictures,but i can say that these clean proportions and lines are quite common in the swedish woodworking style,expecially in the old furniture that were a relaboration of italian and french style(the swedish barock and rococo are quite different from the french and italian for example),but with cleaner lines and without so much fuss (carving,marquetry),i actually learned my trade in a 5 year apprenticeship in a small furniture shop in Italy,we were only 2 people,me and the master,so it was easier to learn,after i moved to sweden and i did 2 years of school specialized in swedish furniture reproduction were i learned carving marquetry and woodturning,after that i did a 1 year of Traslojd school,for learning traditional swedish woodenware,the next year will be my last year of school,and i'm going to study and practicing only woodcarving(8 hours a day woodcarving for 1 year..i hope i will survive);how you can see the system in Sweden offer a great variety of choice,here the university is totally free,no money are payed for studyng,but there is no such test that you must do like in the US or Canada for become master carpenter or furnituremaker,here is mostly about high schools and university and after that you go to work and make experience,there are high schools with different branches(electrician,plumber,carpenter,concrete,furnituremaking ec..)and you can choose..i had the luck personally to work also for a short time with restoring old traditional log building,very tough work,and most of that is by hand,using axes,drawknives and so on,but my back said no..you can't..i learned anyway how to restore,making and glazing sash windows with linseed oil putty ..it is all about experience..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's probably 9am- have some friends there :)
Hi Kam and Kaliforniadecks,
it was actually 8:30am,so you were quite right..do you have friends in Sweden?in what town?is quite difficult making friends with Swedes,they are quite close and reserved..now is almost 6 PM and the day is finished here..it is quite dark..i will sent a picture of my hometown in Italy so you can understand how difficult for me is living here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Terracina-vista01.jpg

1 - 20 of 85 Posts