Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
General Contractor
7 Posts
I am new here but I have noticed that suspected non contractors are jumped on fiercely and quickly shown the door yet steaming piles of crap like this are allowed. Arent all of the other ads on this site enough without the posts being taken over by peddlers?

·
Registered
681 Posts
... If I had construction related products I wanted to sell, I'd certainly be looking at paying CT for the ability to do that.
True, but as Joe said, the problem is not what they sell or that they advertise here. The problem is false claims. I believe Joe made a strong case for that.

As to the matter of "hocking", the term was used incorrectly. Look it up. If I were a Spaniard I would have been just as confused. The correct word for what we're talking about here is hawking.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is just another thread that shows how unfriendly and non-productive CT is. A new vendor comes to this website with enthusiasm to sell his products and he is forced into a debate by the same arrogant and disrespectful moderators old-timers.

If I were this vendor, I would complain directly to the owners of CT and ask for a refund. I know CT members will say that everyone is entitled to speak their opinions, but the unfriendly insults make this forum totally non-productive for vendors and I will bet that this vendor will not get one sale by advertising on CT because the good contractors in this world are not members on CT because they have better things to do than subject their self to insults, humiliation and senseless arguments,

The owners of CT, moderators and arrogant old-timers need to clean up their act so that CT is a productive and friendly forum for the enjoyment of other than the moderators and old-timers. Moderators should do more moderating for the arrogant old-timers rather than closing threads and banning members innocently get pulled into flames and senseless arguments.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,395 Posts
This is just another thread that shows how unfriendly and non-productive CT is. A new vendor comes to this website with enthusiasm to sell his products and he is forced into a debate by the same arrogant and disrespectful moderators old-timers.

If I were this vendor, I would complain directly to the owners of CT and ask for a refund. I know CT members will say that everyone is entitled to speak their opinions, but the unfriendly insults make this forum totally non-productive for vendors and I will bet that this vendor will not get one sale by advertising on CT because the good contractors in this world are not members on CT because they have better things to do than subject their self to insults, humiliation and senseless arguments,

The owners of CT, moderators and arrogant old-timers need to clean up their act so that CT is a productive and friendly forum for the enjoyment of other than the moderators and old-timers. Moderators should do more moderating for the arrogant old-timers rather than closing threads and banning members innocently get pulled into flames and senseless arguments.
I don't see where either a single mod or old timer was disrespectful or arrogant toward OP in this thread. As a matter of fact, a moderator shut down the unfriendly insulting, as they often do.

As to whether it's productive for OP to market Euro style shower timers on this particular forum, that's certainly for OP to determine, either before, during, or after their premium vendor membership has ran its course.

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
317 Posts
A new vendor comes to this website with enthusiasm to sell his products and he is forced into a debate
So because someone paid a fee, no one should be able to question any questionable, outrageous or false claims made by the vendor?

·
Registered
General Contractor
7 Posts
Forums like this one are not free because there are actually costs associated with operating the site. You can go the route of charging a fee to be a member in order to cover the expenses or just allow advertising to cover the cost. I suspect many forums exist only as a profit center for their ownership. I have no problem with anyone making a profit.
The value that a forum is producing is the involvement and posting of the members. Without that the forum is useless. There is a tremendous amount of advertising on this site as is, A fourth of my page is already covered with ads and ads are randomly inserted between posts. You would think this would generate enough revenue but apparently not. Now we have vendors hawking their products in threads they have created. I get called out for using a non vulgar word and chastised for insulting a revenue golden goose.
Just a friendly piece of advice from a new guy that is a member of many forums. You need to make this forum friendly to more people. Now I understand it is for professional contractors and homeowners can take over if things arent regulated but they dont have to be attacked with blood thirsty guard dogs. Also, if this site is for professional contractors, how is it that a few seem to be on here 24/7 and post a hundred times a day? how do they do any work? Any forum that is dominated by a few members of the "old guard" who spend all their time competing with each other for most all time posts, will eventually kill the forum. And back to the advertising., ever seen a magazine that the content was well over half ads? How many people just throw it in the trash without reading it?

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,395 Posts
Forums like this one are not free because there are actually costs associated with operating the site. You can go the route of charging a fee to be a member in order to cover the expenses or just allow advertising to cover the cost. I suspect many forums exist only as a profit center for their ownership. I have no problem with anyone making a profit.
The value that a forum is producing is the involvement and posting of the members. Without that the forum is useless. There is a tremendous amount of advertising on this site as is, A fourth of my page is already covered with ads and ads are randomly inserted between posts. You would think this would generate enough revenue but apparently not. Now we have vendors hawking their products in threads they have created. I get called out for using a non vulgar word and chastised for insulting a revenue golden goose.
Just a friendly piece of advice from a new guy that is a member of many forums. You need to make this forum friendly to more people. Now I understand it is for professional contractors and homeowners can take over if things arent regulated but they dont have to be attacked with blood thirsty guard dogs. Also, if this site is for professional contractors, how is it that a few seem to be on here 24/7 and post a hundred times a day? how do they do any work? Any forum that is dominated by a few members of the "old guard" who spend all their time competing with each other for most all time posts, will eventually kill the forum. And back to the advertising., ever seen a magazine that the content was well over half ads? How many people just throw it in the trash without reading it?
So peddlers are steaming piles of crap, and inline ads are unacceptable, and we should all be kinder? The value of a forum is people posting, but people posting a lot will kill the forum. Lots of mutual contradiction going on there.

For what it’s worth, you don’t have to click on the thread that was started by the paid member who’s trying to market shower timers.

If you don’t like the system, start your own forum.

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
317 Posts
Also, if this site is for professional contractors, how is it that a few seem to be on here 24/7 and post a hundred times a day? how do they do any work?
Any forum that is dominated by a few members of the "old guard" who spend all their time competing with each other for most all time posts, will eventually kill the forum.
And back to the advertising., ever seen a magazine that the content was well over half ads? How many people just throw it in the trash without reading it?
You claim to be a professional contractor but yet here you are posting. Do you do any work?
You claim having long term members that have been posting since 2005 will eventually kill the forum but yet here you are 17 years later and the site is going strong enough to sell advertising space.
You claim too much advertising will cause users to throw the site in the garbage but yet here you are.
Your new founded presence here defeats all of your own arguments.

Note: When you come here with a problem it will most likely be the "old guard" that helps you find the solution.

Reactions: reggi
21 - 32 of 32 Posts