Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Arrived at a client's house this morning to hear about an "incident" last night. Mrs. Homeowner was bending over to pick up a coaster and knocked her head on the hutch pictured below (they have two). The top fell and broke into the pieces also shown below. Apparently.

"Can you fix it before you do anything else? It's where the plates go!"

Cupboard Property Furniture Hutch Wood stain Furniture Room Table Bed frame Floor

Anyone else have a weird one?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I'd hate to tell her "no" but flat-packaged IKEA furniture does not survive a fall like that. It will never be as good as new and you'll be "fixing" it indefinately.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,706 Posts
I'm betting she did a little more than bump her head on it. Glue it back together. Tell her you don't promise anything. Charge her your hourly rate and materials. Get it in writing that there is no guarantee and have her sign it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm betting she did a little more than bump her head on it. Glue it back together. Tell her you don't promise anything. Charge her your hourly rate and materials. Get it in writing that there is no guarantee and have her sign it.
If you need someone to sign off on gluing a piece of crap back together I think you have some serious trust issues. :laughing:

Reactions: dom-mas

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Once you get that all signed and notarized, just whack that puppy together with your framing gun..... but use ring shanks at least...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's a little elderly woman with a dainty head, she must have done more than bump it.

I glued the snot out of it and hid some L brackets and mending plates in the back. Then she brought me around to look at the rest of the loose furniture. At this rate I'll be here T&M all winter.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
She's a little elderly woman with a dainty head, she must have done more than bump it.

I glued the snot out of it and hid some L brackets and mending plates in the back. Then she brought me around to look at the rest of the loose furniture. At this rate I'll be here T&M all winter.
Do ya suppose that she put all that KD furniture together herself....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe 20 years ago. It seems squarely put together, screws in the holes, etc... But no glue and only two drywall screws per joint.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,706 Posts
Not for me. I'm all handshakes under $3k, then it's paperwork time.
You'll learn.

The school of hard knocks is a fickle biotch.:whistling

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leo G said:
You'll learn. The school of hard knocks is a fickle biotch.:whistling
I know I might, I fear that day. I got taken for a few thousand in my web design days.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,706 Posts
I only become a trusting sole after I've dealt with people for some time. And even then I'm leery at producing without paperwork to back things up.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Same here, it is awkward handing over a contract to a friend but I can't afford not to have one.
I do know what you mean.... and I do not always do it.... but if the job may have any/some complications or is not just plain simple and fully known...

I'll phrase it as I hand over the contract; "I want to make sure that I fully understand what you want.... is my understanding correct... anything that you would like to add or clarrify."

The truth is that a contract protects BOTH parties, and any client should have one, as well as me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts