Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I'm new to this website although I was reading posts but I'm now joind, to seek Advice
I have been working as a site superintendent for about 7 years on and off in the past recession im a licensed general contractor and stiil working as a superintendent but I am always thinking about starting my own company but I dont know how or from where I have website and bluuebook membership and getting some leads here and there what would be the next steps I need to take I know about the process of construction and some experience and im willing to put my % 100 into my own business. :):) thanks in advance

·
Hack
3,010 Posts
Hi everybody I'm new to this website, and I am seeking advice.
I have been working as a site superintendent for about 7 years, and I am a licensed general contractor. I am still working as a superintendent but I am always thinking about starting my own company; but I dont know how. I have a website and bluuebook membership, and have been getting some leads here and there. What are the next steps I should take? I understand the process of construction and have some experience; and I'm willing to put 100% into my own business. :):) Thanks in advance

·
Young-Guy Framer
551 Posts
I'd love to know why construction is the only industry where these mythical "steps" to a successful company exist. Never once in my life have I heard anyone ask for the "steps" in starting a tech company, or the "steps" in launching a business services firm.

To whoever started this thread, not trying to be rude here, but if it were as simple as following "steps," everyone with a toolbox and time would have a successful construction company.

·
Masonry Contractor
83 Posts
oh my lord I almost pee my pants laughing every time I read threads like this. Mostly because of the smart a$$ comments made. I love em'!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I thought I would get some honest guidelines here but im mistaking in construction people are not that educated. But thanks anyways

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
honestgc said:
Thanks I thought I would get some honest guidelines here but im mistaking in construction people are not that educated. But thanks anyways
I hate to drag this on because it's not going anywhere, but...

Have you ever thought about asking questions to the humans that you interact with on a daily basis about how they started? Where they get leads from? Their experiences?

If you asked two people the same question, and got two different answers, you could then come here and post that question as a jump off point. Then you would have a discussion and more information to derive your own answers from.

After all, All we are is faceless AutoMotons that spit out algorithms of pointless bull****.

·
Super Moderator
24,693 Posts
I don't get it.

You are already licensed AND been a Super for the last 7 years.

If you don't know how to convert to your own business who will?

You have paperwork knowledge, know the suppliers & subs, wage & OSHA rules & regs, ability to read plans & specs, etc etc....

Just what else are you looking for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't get it.

You are already licensed AND been a Super for the last 7 years.

If you don't know how to convert to your own business who will?

You have paperwork knowledge, know the suppliers & subs, wage & OSHA rules & regs, ability to read plans & specs, etc etc....

Just what else are you looking for?
I m not sure exactly how to estimate on the leads that are available in bbbids mostly the issue I have is that the plans are pdf and its easy to miss when im trying to mto over the computer, and if I print them it cost and its not just one lead I need to bid 100 of jobs to maybe get 10 job if im lucky. This is where I dont know how other contractors deal with it.
also in estimating since I did only managing the projects and the company that I work is mostly building 20 or 30 unit apartments is not the same as the jobs that Im going to bid on thats too big for start so my supervisor experience is not helping me in this case even though I have general knowledge of most of the construction phases and plan reading and material takeoffs.
I realy want to work for myself or at least try my ability this is killing me that I see people with less knowledge thatn me are getting subcontracting jobs so big. Im thinking I should give it a shot if its not for me then Im relieved that I need to work for someone and live paycheck to paycheck.
I really appreciate your advise.

·
Super Moderator
24,693 Posts
What types of jobs & in what price range do you want to bid?

Residential or Commercial?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Step 1: Find a home with something broken on it
Step 2: Offer to fix it for them
You cant Believe it how many times I've received calls from clients which don't have any clue what they want and im the first contractor and the want me to give them estimate how would you estimate a job without any plan, what would be my next approach. That's what I need to know. Should I refer them to an architect to draw a plan for them and pull the permit for them without a contract signed yet and then based on the plan I estimate the job and if they accept the price sign a contract or just give them a price and start the work based on that blind estimate (rough order of magnitude) what you guys do in these situations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What types of jobs & in what price range do you want to bid?

Residential or Commercial?
Dear griz thanks for your reply but im not sure what is the difference between these two if im not mistaking by residentiam you mean the remodeling or single family and commercial you mean store or apartment building and shopping centers then im thinking im more familiar with residential.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
oh! you came back. Apologies then. so many 1 post & runs in this forum, it becomes automatic to sharpen our wits...

What you may benefit from is a business plan. There is a sample template in micrisoft word.

Also, being self employed is more about being good at sales. I'm at lunch now but will get back w more advice later. Until then scan the biz section of the forums, especially the stickies. And dont be afraid to go 5 pages deep in the forums.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
This is the Construction Business
The first rule is..
Dont trust anyone in the construction business.

Start with what you know, and work from there.
Experience means screwing up bids, screwing up clients, screwing up subs, etc..

I would love to be your first client, and hate to be your first sub.

My father used to say to me... "sometimes you get it up the ass, and sometimes you give it up the ass, Its very important in the end that the 2 even out" may he R.I.P.

Thats construction

Reactions: Metro M & L

·
Punching above his weight
10,801 Posts
You cant Believe it how many times I've received calls from clients which don't have any clue what they want and im the first contractor and the want me to give them estimate how would you estimate a job without any plan, what would be my next approach. That's what I need to know. Should I refer them to an architect to draw a plan for them and pull the permit for them without a contract signed yet and then based on the plan I estimate the job and if they accept the price sign a contract or just give them a price and start the work based on that blind estimate (rough order of magnitude) what you guys do in these situations.
If you're looking to be out on your own as a residential General Contractor, as you stated in your reply to Griz, you should really be able to meet with a client and make a plan FOR them about what needs to be done to fix their issue.

Example: Customer calls you with a water damaged ceiling. First step should be to try to solve the water intrusion issue. Go look at the roof. Is the roof ok? No? Call your roofer. Once the water isn't getting into the house, work on fixing the drywall. Call your rock guy and your taper. After he's done, get your painter in there.
I'm assuming that after 7 years of building supervision you know all of these people. You should anyway.
You work out a contract for the work you intend to perform, you both sign off on it, then work begins.
That's pretty much the gig as I understand it. My lights are still on after a year of doing this on my own, so take my posts for whatever that's worth to you.
If you're looking to do larger scale commercial builds like you were talking about earlier, I would try to make really good friends with Griz and basically write down anything he or anyone else here with a green username says.

Good luck man.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts