Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm where to start indeed.

So my name is David from NY, hi! :w00t:

I need some help and even though this is my first post I felt I didn't know where to put my questions so instead of a boring intro I put in some of my concerns, which I hope nearly everyone can help me with.

The point:
I am in an odd situation we I don't know if I would be considered a pro or not, I feel more of just an apprentice or employee more than anything else.

Any who, what my predicament is, is that this economy is getting bad as far as jobs go and I am here to try and get back into a construction job to be honest. I pursued an alternate career and it worked out well for some time but I feel it isn't going to work out, but it has helped with gaining knowledge of the mechanics of 3D <which is useful in programs such as AutoCAD. <which from what I hear is what many contractors use for precise measurements and blue print plans. Am I correct in thinking this?

I am here to request some information as to whether I can apply for an apprenticeship program somewhere in my area New York, City so that I can continue pursuing a construction career or someone on here could hire me as an apprentice that is located in the greater New York, NY area.

My previous experiences have been:
Construction worker 2000-2002
Construction: Demolition, Carpentry, Plastering, setting up beams.
Mopped and cleaned all areas before and after work, Brushed and spread paints and bituminous compounds over surfaces for protection.
Setting up as well as cutting and installing drywall.
Applied caulking compounds by hand and with caulking gun to seal crevices.
Ground, sanded and polished surfaces, such as concrete, marble, terrazzo, and wood flooring.

As you can see there has been sometime between then and now and I would like to know if any of my previous experience can be salvaged into a possible apprenticeship or other?

I am 28, so if you do the math I was 21 when I started gaining experience, I really enjoyed the pay and the work, any assistance to any of my inquiries would be beneficial.

I hope to get some good feedback, if I am totally off base in these forums could someone direct me to a forum outside of this one so I can locate the assistance I require.

Thanks guys!

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Go to your local union hall and ask to be put on the out of work list as an apprentice. Once they call you with a job, you can join the union. With the economy the way it is, you may be on the out of work list for a very long time. Probably a year before you even get a call.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Welcome David,
In my opinion, your heartfelt plea for assistance will result in good responses here. This is a great forum.
I'll bet that a majority of the posters here have tried other things, only to find themselves back in the construction field because frankly, it can be very rewarding. (and hopefully you can make a little money too)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome David,
In my opinion, your heartfelt plea for assistance will result in good responses here. This is a great forum.
I'll bet that a majority of the posters here have tried other things, only to find themselves back in the construction field because frankly, it can be very rewarding. (and hopefully you can make a little money too)
make money? .... heck, I'm just trying to get up to broke!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts