Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just decided to join here for a quick question. I'm a hardwood sander/finisher/installer. I find myself turning too many railing and staircase jobs down. I need to find some kind of school where I can learn to fabricate railings, and reface staircases. Is there such a thing? I will go anywhere in the world, though Canada and USA are preferable.

I met a guy a couple of days ago who I was bidding against and we were shooting the sh!t, he mentioned he worked for a stair guy for free for a couple of months (an older man who was about to retire) and learnt a good part of the trade. If I find such an opportunity I will take it, however for the moment I'd like to find a school.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Alex

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome Alex, I was once in that position too. I found that many jobs were slipping through my fingers because of what I wasn't able to provide for my clients. As far as I know there is not a school for learning to re-cap, re-veneer, build stairs or install railings. All the guys that I know who are able to do those jobs have learned by working for other companies. From experience it has taken me months to teach my lead (the basics) how to re-cap stair cases and close to 2 years for him to be able to do all my stair jobs to a level where he doesn't have questions, and I don't have to worry about quality. However, that is only re-caps, there is still railings, new stairs builds, installs etc... If you're lucky to find a guy that is willing to train you and potentially be his competition that's great, but I feel most guys won't be that willing.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Welcome! I just got back in from Whitby.. I had to do some business with a future client on Burns street in an industrial park. That's a very nice place!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Alex, I was once in that position too. I found that many jobs were slipping through my fingers because of what I wasn't able to provide for my clients. As far as I know there is not a school for learning to re-cap, re-veneer, build stairs or install railings. All the guys that I know who are able to do those jobs have learned by working for other companies. From experience it has taken me months to teach my lead (the basics) how to re-cap stair cases and close to 2 years for him to be able to do all my stair jobs to a level where he doesn't have questions, and I don't have to worry about quality. However, that is only re-caps, there is still railings, new stairs builds, installs etc... If you're lucky to find a guy that is willing to train you and potentially be his competition that's great, but I feel most guys won't be that willing.

I would work free, and I think that would be a good tradeoff. However I find it hard to believe there is no school for railing fabrication! It's been a very important craft for centuries, and only a few books so complex they are impossible to read.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Like carpenterSFO linked in his post there is a tangent handrail class available and that my be you best bet to get someone experienced to teach you. When I went to George Brown College they only touched on the subject of stairs and railing and each student had to build a basic 4 rise stair case with a railing. After that most people likely never touched another a stair project. From what I see on most projects, railings and stairs are now predominantly made with the aid of CNC. Good luck with future business, I'm sure you will find someone willing to teach you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts