Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 16 and the son of a career GC. Its an easy choice what I want to do when I finish school. I am on the job as a helper with Dad's crew during the summer, paying close attention to the tricks of the trades. We do mostly kitchens, bathrooms, and additions. I do plan on going to college, but am frustrated by people who think the only road to wealth is to work for some large company behind a desk. I find even the most menial tasks to be very rewarding. I want to work with my hands, and I am not the kind of person who needs to make a lot of money to be happy. I look forward to absorbing from this community. I have been lurking for a while and have found a wealth of information on Contractor Talk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You sound just like me. Its feels a lot more rewarding to look back at something you built than at some ink on a sheet of paper.

·
Super Moderator
29,164 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Welcome & Best Wishes to you. You sound a lot like my oldest son! :thumbup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
As great as working with your hands is at some point you will be behind a desk if you really want to make money...only so many nails a guy can pound in a day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Competition :jester:
Welcome man.
Nick, don't worry. I wish I had your knowledge. I don't have the same passion for framing that you do. However, I don't like how Dad has to sub all of our big framing jobs. Help is too scarce. I think it would be a good experience to work on a full time framing crew for a couple years though. I don't think it is for me though, as I hate climbing/ladders.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As great as working with your hands is at some point you will be behind a desk if you really want to make money...only so many nails a guy can pound in a day.
I understand that. Transitioning to the estimating/office side of contracting as you age is much different than working in a cubicle all your life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts