Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Hi everyone, I'm new to this sight as well as new to being my own company

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Chris.Prato 
#1 ·
I have a couple of jobs going and I want to get on the ball with establishing a good work base... where is the best place to advertise? Do flyers work? I would love advise

#6 ·
Everything works. Everything fails.

That may seem like a contradiction but it's not what you use that's as important as how you use it. I second the advice to look through the Sales & Marketing section but prepare for both good and bad advice.

You'll find some people making statements such as, "Direct mail is a waste of money," but when you understand that it was a waste of money only because it didn't work for them it puts things in perspective. For everyone asserting that something doesn't work there is someone else who swears by it.

So yes, read the Sales and Marketing section but be sure to install those filters when you do. As for what method to use, every one you possibly can. But before using any of them, decide who your target customer is, find out what's important to them, and plan a method of reaching them with a message they care about. Once you know who your customers are, that's a good step in figuring out how to reach them.

Just as a random example, suppose your specialty is a man cave. That would tell you you'd get better results advertising during a sports radio show than scattering flyers at a women's expo.

Most importantly, don't expect instant results from anything. Plan for a process and work the plan. As a new business, figure on a long, hard fight. I'm not trying to discourage you, but being realistic is vital to your success.

#8 ·
One of the first things you need to invest into ASAP is an online presence: website, appropriate social media, and a suitable domain name. On your job sites, you need to start taking photos of your projects for use in marketing material: printed and online.

There are a few outlets that make generating a website and printed material pretty easy and affordable. The two starting points I always suggest to small business owners are: www.wix.com and www.vistaprint.com for basic website and printing needs on a budget. There are more complex and expensive solutions, however the two suggested are very affordable and easy to use. A website and business cards are something everyone can use these days.

#11 ·
I spent a lot of money on radio and news paper ads when we decided to start our own company, it didn't yield for me. Word of mouth gets me a lot of work and the guys at the lumberyard are constantly recommending me, that helps. I would say 75% of what I do is for return customers. I live and work in a rural area tho.

#14 ·
From my impression, the radio is not the most effective for construction because a lot of our work is "show me the proof". Customers tend to be skeptical, which is why word of mouth is so strong for us. Further more, younger generations....thus your future customers, are moving away from radio to mp3 and digital streams in their cars.

Radio isn't dead, but it's power is not the same.

#15 ·
Radio is super expensive and I don't think it was very effective, when I was doing ads I always asked the customer where they got my number. "We like what you did for the guy down the road" or " my friend said you treated them well" so I abandoned radio and news paper. I had some signs made to put in the yards of my job sites, the signage seems to work well. People always say they saw my sign her or there and how well the building looks.

#16 · (Edited)
Networking,WOM........

It's ALL about developing relationships .........

Become a social butterfly ,so to speak.....

I eat lunch/dinner at quite a few establishments in my area.....you get to know the staff, and the people that stop in ......I can't tell you how many jobs I have had from just that end,......

Then there is the distributors,......get to know them, they can open doors for you...literally......;)

Other peers, sparky's ,plumbers, mason,,,,,etc,,,etc,,,I swap work with many of them- feed each other......help each other out......

Another one,
Social events,party's,meetings,,,,.....Yao,yap, yap........one thing leads to another........:whistling

If you want to build things with your hands your going to have to build relationships .....they go hand-n-hand IMO........I think it is priceless...people skills are huge, ,,.....

Splash Advertising ..... you may find yourself getting a lot of tire kickers,,,,,,:rolleyes:. You may get a couple but (IMO) because your so "fresh" your thinking of throwing money at hope and doubling what you invested, ....:no:,..chances are the odds are not in your favor.

Do what you state in your contracts, do a good job! be punctual, return phone calls,and show your personality, (hopefully it is pleasant) if not,,,,,show the good side of you to them and you will do just fine.......:laughing:

Your going to get a lot of ideas from all of us, lots of opinions......

Get out there and start working,...things will fall in place if your a people person,,,,

,if not........:blink:

This is where I stop typing.......

B,JMPOV

#17 ·
I personally love the radio! Best results for paid advertising that we do! But you have to have a gimmick, an offer, a damn good/funny script - something memorable. We almost always have some kind of an offer for ours. A real offer that people want, not just something that no one wants.
We do our ads at certain times of year, always geared to increase sales and book up our schedule. Study the radio schedules, lengths of ad air time, which stations? - know who your customers are, male/female, age group, race and target them. Repeat, and repeat, and repeat. Visit your radio ad sales guy and pick his/her brain.
Letter your truck, van, trailer, and show it all over - this is very important.

#19 ·
Thomas, you absolutely need a website, even if it's a free one as mentioned above.

Why? Because it's a marketing asset that's OWNED by you. You don't own your Yelp listings, G Places listings, Facebook pages, etc. Those can (and do) vanish at any time. But your site is your managed asset that is on call for you 24/7.

Even if you're relying on WOM to generate leads, what do you suppose is the first thing people do when they hear about you from their neighbor? They Google your name.

When they find your site, you can generate that incredibly valuable sense of Know, Like, Trust. And, if you've done it right, they also know your Unique Selling Proposition (USP).

When your business grows, you can invest some serious coin in a pro site with SEO and scale up. But domain age is a very important factor in search rankings and getting your site up now will get it indexed so that you can maximize the power of the almighty Google in the future.

#20 ·
I have to echo what's being said here.

Try many things, more than once. For example, sending direct mail ads once and seeing poor results can be due to a number of things (bad advertising copy, non-targeted list, bad addresses, style of the mailing, etc). So you need to tweak things, ask those who have success how they do their direct mailing, etc.

What else?

• Website (get the cheapest and easiest thing you can get out there to start...)
  • Social media (facebook, twitter, Houzz, Pinterest, others?).
  • Email campaigns. You can build this up over time to remind your customers who you are and you are ready for them! Update them about your business and of course put a special offer in the email.
  • Door hangers - plenty of info here on this.
  • Direct mailed ads/postcards (already mentioned)
  • Hanging bulletins in local hardware, grocery, and similar high-traffic stores where potential customers would go.
  • Hand out business cards at every opportunity.

Start with the free things first. As you get more clients and projects, you can save a little out of that for marketing expenses.

#21 ·
As others have said, get a website.

SEO is important, but people think it's the golden ticket - it's not. As long as your website is setup to sell and capture leads, it doesn't matter how they get to you. Direct mail and door hangers can be more effective, quicker, and cheaper than focusing on SEO.

The most important element you want on your website is a mechanism to capture leads. Realize that only 1-5% of your target market is buying now. The vast majority are thinking about it and gathering information.

Position yourself to be the one that provides that information and you'll soon have more leads than you can handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.