Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
$72 a ton here, it's under 10 miles away from anywhere I'm working at. But if I go about 45 mins away it's 35 a ton. Usually u just dump it here unless it's a really heavy bastard

·
Registered
15,148 Posts
I pay $40 minimum $85/ton here and I go locally to the dumps. You need a DEP sticker which I pay every couple of years and now they make you wear a vest and hardhat while dumping.

·
GC/carpenter
43,842 Posts
We still have thousands of square miles of non populated areas in this state. Not sure, but the amount of real estate may have something to do with what they're charging.

·
Registered
15,148 Posts
After 9/11 Staten Island dumps got overloaded and everything was being transfered to Pennsylvania for a while. Not sure about now but like supplies and gas price increase but never decrease.

·
Punching above his weight
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Trash is really boning me this month.

I severely underestimated the amount of garbage these last two jobs would produce and didn't get a dumpster. Now I'm driving around with it until I can get a minute to drop it off. I'm considering sending the helper to the dump tomorrow, but somehow I can picture a million things going wrong.

"Yeah, yeah I'm in Newark. I parked the van near the giant magnet when I went to go pay. It's a cube now. Can you come pick me up? Oh... right."

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a light duty dump truck here..rated in size for about 22yds..but really weight wise about 6k max..
Buddy was down from NJ who is a contractor was with me one day when I went to our transfer stations down here..the thing is full visually..drywall, carpet, cabinets..etc..about two houses worth of remodel. Weigh in..go dump..weigh out..pay..roughly $145 if correct. $45 per ton mixed C & D..my buddy says how much was that?.I say about $150...he says in jersey that would be $500-650 without blinking..

I laughed..I said down here you pay the people that actually dump the the garbage..not the 20 people hidden in the paperwork between the dump and the dump trucks.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Tom M said:
After 9/11 Staten Island dumps got overloaded and everything was being transfered to Pennsylvania for a while. Not sure about now but like supplies and gas price increase but never decrease.
They re-open it for 9/11 to help with searching for remains . It took sometime for local officials to finally close the 2,200 acre landfill . Everything goes out by rail to landfills by design to help close it . There's about 50 acres with remains that family's don't wont it to be used for park redevelopment over 30 years .

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Easy Gibson said:
$95/ton. Totally reasonable for around here. I actually don't know if they pro-rate or if there's a 1 ton minimum. Most places will round to the nearest $20. I had 1800 pounds, so I just assumed they rounded up to the full ton. You're right though, I'd have paid double.
Local yard does it by yard no scales . Around 45 bucks or so looks at van or pickup size bed . Still run by mob . Don't tell no one thou .

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you are transporting in a commercial vehicle in NJ you need to register with the NJDEP and get your stickers. Don't get caught or expect to pay several thousands of dollars in fines.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts