Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
11,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working in the Summit area this week and accumulated a large amount of trash bags. I knew there was a transfer station right in Summit that I'd been meaning to try out. I called and asked if they took construction debris and they said yes. That was all I needed to hear.

Now let's get to the part where I run into trouble.

They close at 3:30ish. At 3ish I load the van and head over there. I get there and find the guy. I said where do I dump the construction debris. He says, 'Well, you're going to have to pay for that.'
I said, "Duh. Just tell me where to dump it and who to hand money to. You want me to drive around to the scale?"

Here's the mindblower.

"No sir. You have to go to the municipal building in town, then they weigh you there, then you pay for a coupon and bring that coupon back here in order to dump."

Bureaucracy has gone too far. Summit will never see a dollar of my money.

I left town with my dignity and about 500 pounds of plaster and lathe in the back of the truck.

Somebody in the Hudson/Essex area tell me where I can just drive into and dump this crap.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
That is stupid. What keeps you from being weighed at 300 pounds and then throwing more in the trailer?

We pay 15 bucks a load at the transfer stations with no scales. Of course they have now decided to jack the roofers and the same load will be like 45 bucks. Still a bargain, but not a good of one.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I think its the same thing here, the residents get so many coupons per household and they dump for free without being weighted, if you not a resident, and you come with a loaded commercial truck, you have to go through the whole procedure.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
I think its the same thing here, the residents get so many coupons per household and they dump for free without being weighted, if you not a resident, and you come with a loaded commercial truck, you have to go through the whole procedure.
You forgot the part that if the truck is commercial he may need to be NJDEP registered.
Many counties have a rule that you cannot take the garbage out of the county. Some transfer stations have rules that you can't pay with cash, can't pay with a business check unless NJDEP registered and/or have an escrow account with them.
I also believe you are not allowed to leave it in your truck overnight.

Welcome to NJ. Where it can be very difficult to get rid of garbage unless there is a body in it.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
Somehow, in my youth, I had the presence of mind to leave New Freakin' Jersey and not look back. Back then, we weren't even allowed to ride a motorcycle on the Parkway. Too dangerous, they said. Now you have to kiss government butt to dump garbage?

·
11,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a play on Garden State. Also, we make a lot of money taking other peoples' trash and dumping it in the ocean for them. hah

Hey guys, great news on the trash front though. As of the time I made this thread I was totally boned with a truck full of trash and a huge order of materials to pick up at 8am. I knew it had to disappear somehow. Right before I made the call to Tommy and Louie I figured I'd give google one more crack at it and oh man did they not disappoint.

Check this out. Allocco Recycling, 594 Scholes in Brooklyn is a 24 hour construction debris recycling center. Yes, 24 hour! I couldn't believe it. I called the guy at midnight when I found the website. I asked him, "...and you take construction debris from contractors?" He said, "Baby, that's ALL we do!"

Yadda yadda, I saw the sun rise over Bushwick while throwing bundles of lathe into a mountain of trash. It was actually kind of romantic.

·
11,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can imagine at that point cost was not a major concern but what did it run you to be able to dump?
$95/ton. Totally reasonable for around here. I actually don't know if they pro-rate or if there's a 1 ton minimum. Most places will round to the nearest $20. I had 1800 pounds, so I just assumed they rounded up to the full ton.
You're right though, I'd have paid double.

·
11,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually had to be in Brooklyn for a material pick up that morning anyway, so the toll was going to be paid anyway. It also allowed me to hit Kellogg's Diner which I haven't done in ages. It's different now. hah

More googling has found me two more 24 Hour stations in Jersey. Both in Newark. Both seem to be $95/ton for exempt(homeowner) customers. I'm a homeowner to them because I'll dump my trash in the ocean before I pay the outrageous DEP fees.

http://www.lemcortransfer.com/frequent-questions
http://www.esiwaste.com/waste-recyc...ations/doremus-avenue-recycling-and-transfer/

·
GC/carpenter
43,594 Posts
I actually had to be in Brooklyn for a material pick up that morning anyway, so the toll was going to be paid anyway. It also allowed me to hit Kellogg's Diner which I haven't done in ages. It's different now. hah

More googling has found me two more 24 Hour stations in Jersey. Both in Newark. Both seem to be $95/ton for exempt(homeowner) customers. I'm a homeowner to them because I'll dump my trash in the ocean before I pay the outrageous DEP fees.

http://www.lemcortransfer.com/frequent-questions
http://www.esiwaste.com/waste-recyc...ations/doremus-avenue-recycling-and-transfer/
My transfer station is in town and they only charge 32 dollars a ton and I thought that was high. If I take it to the landfill it's only about 20 dollars a ton, but that's about 10 miles away, fvck that!

·
11,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's a yin and yang to every state.

I pay more for dumping, but I paid $3.15 for regular gasoline this morning. What'd you pay? ;)

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I'd dump my trash in NY just so I can have an excuse to go to White Castle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts