Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY IS IT JUST ME... OR DID EVERYONE'S OCTOBER START SLOW?

I don't know if it's just me or what?... But normally I'm pretty busy, but late September and early October the phones have been real quiet.

Is it business in general or is it the mess in Washington causing people to hold onto their money until after mess is cleared up.

Last year I had the same slow down, but I calked that one up to the uncertainty around the election and the Hurricane at the end of October.

Anyway the last three weeks have been slow. :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
HEY IS IT JUST ME... OR DID EVERYONE'S OCTOBER START SLOW?

I don't know if it's just me or what?... But normally I'm pretty busy, but late September and early October the phones have been real quiet.

Is it business in general or is it the mess in Washington causing people to hold onto their money until after mess is cleared up.

Last year I had the same slow down, but I calked that one up to the uncertainty around the election and the Hurricane at the end of October.

Anyway the last three weeks have been slow. :mad:
Same here, phone has been pretty quiet. Hope this doesn't last to long. Not having work drives me crazy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In my area we are still busy, most of our work is from an April hail storm. Still have 28 roofs and 38 siding jobs to complete. Just me and 3 guys on my crew, I am one of the few locals not farming out to others though.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,641 Posts
Nice thing about building decks is a lot of people will wait as much as a couple months. So I always have a booked schedule. We don't have a winter out here, so it works out great. As a matter of fact the winter is the best weather for deck building, here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Nice thing about building decks is a lot of people will wait as much as a couple months. So I always have a booked schedule. We don't have a winter out here, so it works out great. As a matter of fact the winter is the best weather for deck building, here. :thumbsup:
That's a big advantage of recommendations. They will wait no matter the time frame.. I have a couple currently that are over a year late. They have been great about it but better jobs come along and i didn't want to miss out on them. Having a winter here though def messes with the schedule some. Got a 1600ft full basement remodel that will get me through that hopefully.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I have a pretty large commercial job coming up, 10,000 sqf, that's going to take a year, people don't want to wait that long :laughing:, but I'm just getting to my last longer job of the year that I signed the contract in march. Smaller jobs get shoved in when ever I can do them. Roofs siding windows and doors I usually sub out.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
For me the start of the year was dead usually spring and fall we are running with our heads cut off. This year started slow. Now it seems like everyone has to get it done yesterday. Lol I know as usually it will stop dead at any giving time. Usually when it snows. I've been pushing our Winter blasting, letting people know we go all year. Hope it picks up for you guys. I'm just getting summer bills paid.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We are busier right now than we have been all year, with jobs lined up through the winter which is great, last year we were pretty slow all winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts