Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one for you.........Targeted at Prowall

Judy and I are stripping wallpapper in the girls room. (Now I wish we would have just hung 3/8 board over, or just booked new papper).

It's the first time I can remember removing papper, and it isn't a picnic.

We tryed the remover, not much better than warm water. It's one sq foot at a time and putty knife city. A lot of work.

Questions:
1.What do you normaly charge for that?
2.Is there a quicker way?
3.Is this truely hell.

Thanks guys
Bob

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
1.What do you normaly charge for that?
A lot.
2.Is there a quicker way?
That depends on the substrate, (was it primed, with what??? paint primer, w/c primer, just plain paint, none at all???), the type of paper (vinyl coated, solid vinyl, paper backed vinyl, scrim backed or fabric backed, non-woven), the type of adhesive (clay, clear, cellulose, wheat, a home brewed concotion of any of the above, elmer's, liquid nails) etc. etc. etc. Soak it, soak it some more, and soak it again.
3.Is this truely hell.
Yes. Now go find a copy of Slayer's South of Heaven, and you will have the soundtrack too.

I always advise/recommend removing it all, but sometimes it just ain't gonna happen. Sand down what you got, prime it with a heavy-bodied, slow-drying long oil (not kilz), and skim it.

And tell all your GC friends that priming is ALWAYS REQUIRED whether painting new drywall or hanging any paper.

·
Registered
318 Posts
wallpaper

Ughhh... have removed more wallpaper in my lifetime than any human being should be made to....

Anyway - the fastest method I've found is to get one of those red Tiger things (I think that's the name) - it looks kind of like one of those hand sanders that Mr. Miyagi had the kid use to sand the deck in Karate Kid. It puts small perforations into the wallpaper as your run it across.

Next, put warm water and the remover (it does help, but it need to penetrate - thus the perforations) into a squeeze spray bottle (like a windex one) and set it to mist. Heavily mist the entire room giving the water time to penetrate behind the wallpaper and get to the glue. Then go back and keep misting while starting to remove the paper. Let the water to the work of loosening the paper. Have fun with it.

Tim

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
We use the paper tiger very sparingly. In uneducated hands it could really tear up a wall. We lay drops along the wall, and tape plastic to the baseboards. Then use pre-cut squares of plastic to protect light switches, outlets, alarm systems etc. Then use a garden-type pump sprayer, 2 gallon size. Fill it with warm water/removal solution of choice, and spray away. I think a windex bottle sprayer would take way too long.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tim and Prowall, it's finnished, but next time I'll try to find the tiger deal. what a pain in the a$$ the papper was. Poor Judy's hands got sore.

I just watched :cheesygri

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts