Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laying down my first herringbone decking this coming week and was hoping somebody could fill in my mental gaps.
I checked around the net and looked at a thread that Mac and Greg Di were in from back in 2008. Just wanted to make sure standards haven't changed since then.

I've got a nice rectangular platform 225.5" x 143.5". Assuming I want a 4' pattern, I double my joists at the lap, cover the doubles for moisture protection, and lay out my pieces at 45 starting from the corner and filling in from there, yes?

You guys have any sage like advice on where you find it easiest to start from? I assumed it would be from one of the corners at a perfect 45, then radiate out in both directions as you lay them down.

Lastly, what's the joist covering material of choice in 2014?

Thanks dudes.

Oh, lastly lastly, anybody want to come do this with/for me? Jersey City Heights. Good times.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I am a bit confused, sorry. I thought Herringbone did not have 45's? I did a Herringbone deck and the point was to not have those cuts.

I started from the most visual corner, had a short piece of the deck board to stagger each piece.

I stepped each end for deck boards, so I did not lay a 45 down the middle, I basically blocked the crap out of it, had a guy cutting and throwing me the PT and I nailed it in. I never thought about running a 45 joint down the center, not sure a doubled 2x would be wide enough though.

I use a stick down deck top, alot like opening tape. If you use a good thick oil based kind, it seals the screw hole when it heats up.

This is what my Herringbone pattern looked like.

Attachments

·
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always run a seam board up the middle like this

Then you don't need to worry about a doubler
That's not really a herringbone though. I'm also doing a herringbone detail on the railings, so they want the decking to match. I'm currently trying to talk them out of doing the decking 'boned as I think it will be too busy and also end up costing too much. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Gotcha, the framing really isn't that bad. I didn't like the 45 joist up the center. The whole board did not rest on the joist and I felt like blocking the joists was more secure. We used mostly scraps left over from the deck anyway and I would do it that way again.

I really like the look of the Herringbone too. We did a deck that was 12' wide on the south side of the house and 6' on the east side.i could not figure out how to join the decks, stumbled across the Herringbone and we did a 2 for 1 pattern, 2 on the 12' side to 1 on the 6' side and turned out awesome. I will try and find a photo

·
Super Moderator
44,599 Posts
I think you nailed it Easy, it looks too busy, especially if your railing is getting a busy detail as well. I'm the best at convincing customers thier ideas suck, have them give me a call. Lol

·
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you nailed it Easy, it looks too busy, especially if your railing is getting a busy detail as well. I'm the best at convincing customers thier ideas suck, have them give me a call. Lol
I definitely plan on working on them hard tomorrow morning. I'm hoping he misspoke on the phone and had meant "railing" like we talked about instead of "decking". We shall see. If not I may have to bring you in on a conference call.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I think that using two joists, each centered on one of the corner lines, would allow for a better attachment and avoid the doubled joist sandwich. If I'm doubling a joist I put a layer of Grace Vycor on top of it.

I think the herring bone looks pretty sweet and probably wouldn't take much more time than Mike's pic. You still have to ladder frame that setup, then cut all the boards after you run them wild, then install the border piece.

·
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here's how today went.

We settled for: Herringbone decking, horizontal slatted 1x for the railing detail. I like it. Should look cool. Started the herringbone. I ignored Ethan and made the double joist sandwich, then covered with vycor. I haven't used that stuff before. I like it a lot.
Setting the first pieces took me almost an hour, then once I was satisfied with what I was doing I realized you can really fly with herringbone. Mass production is easy once you get the first couple pieces down. Then I realized you could run the end cuts wild like you would normal horizontal decking. Business really picked up there.

Now the letdown. As soon as I got home my wife demanded to see pictures. She took one look at it and said, "You didn't make the pattern symmetrical?" I said, "I centered on the staircase."
"Why wouldn't you move the staircase to accommodate the pattern?"
"Because that's not where they wanted it?"
"Tell them that's not where it goes!"

Now I don't know what to do. hah

·
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pictures to come tomorrow. I left the camera in the van and it's a couple blocks away.

Ugh. I could readjust the pattern but it would mean moving the joists, buying another roll of vycor to replace what's already stuck down, and probably losing half a day.
I think we're keeping it.

Here's a quick sketchup of what I have. I started making it nice, but then when I saw how long it was taking I phoned it in. Stairs not to scale. You get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
44,599 Posts
Pictures to come tomorrow. I left the camera in the van and it's a couple blocks away.

Ugh. I could readjust the pattern but it would mean moving the joists, buying another roll of vycor to replace what's already stuck down, and probably losing half a day.
I think we're keeping it.

Here's a quick sketchup of what I have. I started making it nice, but then when I saw how long it was taking I phoned it in. Stairs not to scale. You get the idea.

I use Vycor a lot. I think it's a great product.

·
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our house is the classic architect/builder marriage sitcom trope. I go out and try to make us a living, she tells me after the fact why it's terrible. hah

Now that it's shaping up here, I think I'm right. The stairs are centered on a row, and the "short row" at the end, is a 32" span, whereas if I split the difference, the stairs(in line with the exit to the back patio of the house) would have been misaligned with the decking entirely, and there would have been two 16" runs at either end. Silly in my mind.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One problem with laying down a true wood herringbone pattern is that the 45 degree cut shows that all the deck board widths are not the same size. When the board widths vary so does the toe/heel joint in the center, the deck boards look off, especially if you are using PT. That is why I always add a center board so the deck boards don't join in the center or do it like 606.

Have a great day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.