Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a general contractor. In my life I have hired, and been hired by, hundreds of small contractors, most of whom had fewer than 10 employees, and many of whom were “one man shows”. I have found that, almost without exception, these men and women are honest, ethical, reliable, and competent. They work long hard hours, many of which are unseen by their customers. They do difficult and dangerous work, at the expense of their own bodies, trading their health for their living.

When treated with respect, these contractors are generous with their time, generous with their knowledge and wisdom, and even generous with their labor.

Most of these people are passionate about the work that they do in their particular trade; constantly educating themselves on their own time to improve their abilities and to remain up to date on the latest materials and installation techniques.

They are a rough and tumble lot, and although they sometimes fight among themselves, they are dedicated to their customers and the good of the public, to a fault. They are part of a brotherhood that is the backbone of the construction industry in America.

If you have come here to ride on our backs, take away our liberty, rob us of our individuality, or enslave us in any way, don’t expect to get our cooperation, we will not be willing victims.

If you have come here to whine about your bad experience with inept and unreliable low ball bidders, don’t expect any sympathy from us, we do not feel your pain.

If you have come here to brag about your unethical business practices, don’t expect any applause, we will not celebrate your “triumphs”.

If you have come here to be a part of this great brotherhood, or are here to enjoy the free advice and wisdom that is so willingly shared, you can expect to be welcomed with open arms, we will help you in any way we can.

I am proud to be a part of this brotherhood, I am proud of my small contribution to this industry; and I would like to say thank you to all of the people who have generously given their time to help me succeed.

Here’s to you my brothers and sisters, the men and women who have worked so hard to build, repair, and maintain America.

God bless you all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Back atcha brother. Many people become disillusioned and bitter in their search for the American Dream. Becuase they're looking too hard and not seeing that we're already living it. Not a Hummer in every garage and a lobster in every pot, just living with a minimal of interference, making our own futures.

Kepp up the good work everyone,
Don :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Here! Here!

And a hearty thank you to everyone here that has provided a valuable wealth of information since I joined last fall.

P.S. Don't forget Canadian contractors and Canada!!!

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Don't forget Canadian contractors and Canada!!!
How utterly egotistical of me. My heartfelt apologies, and best wishes to our Canadian, British, and Australian brothers and sisters who have shared in our sacrifices, forgiven our failures, and have been our friends and allies through thick and thin. You have given much, and asked little.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Advance Australia Fair!

God save the Queen!

·
Registered
9 Posts
:Thumbs: I too have to say hats off. I have worked for a few different contractors over the years. most of them were outstanding and no matter what personal or business differences we may have I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. I have worked for one or two (didnt stay there long) that were the bad apples but the good ones out number the bad 100 to 1 around here). I applaud them and their friends and familes for being there with them and helping and supporting them. I to applaud all of you on here and your famiies and friends as well!! :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

I am just a mere seedling in the vast forest but I am going to grow into a mature oak in due time. I am not trying to rush it but I do not expect or wanted it handed to me. I know people who have been handed gold mines and instead of being thankful they are always wanting more.

I am going to establish myself on not how fast or how many jobs I do a year. I will not grade myself on how many new customers I obtain every year. I choose not to do business like that. :(

I WILL establish myself on the quality of my work. I WILL grade myself on how satisfied my new "friends"(customers) are with my services and willingness to provide nothing less than 200%. :D

I will not look at my customers as $ signs or just numbers for the books. I will treat them as friends or family. :Thumbs:

I will not lower the standards of quality work and business eithics by lowballing just to get work. I will price in a fair and just range.

I pledge to my family and friends to not let my business dictate my life. I pledge to my business to give it 200% attention during business hours and appropiate times after.

I am not going to say sorry for asking honest questions be it here or elsewhere in order to be able to get through a situation that I am unsure of or learn something. I do promise myself not to half A*************s anything just to finish a job. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

I guess I am saying I promise to be american and be true to myself, my trade, my family, friends and nation!!!!

Sorry if I got off track but you inspired me Mike.. I was just going to give my amen to your post when all this came pouring out... damn fingers dont know when to shut up.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The reason that I started this thread:

I am often told, “it is very difficult to find a good contractor”. I take exception to that, and I have found that I have never have to look very far to find honest and talented help. That is the reason that I started this thread in the first place.

Wherever you are, I guarantee you that you are surrounded by good people who are waiting anxiously to help you. All you have to do is pay them their due, treat them with the respect that they deserve, and either make sure that they can handle the job that they have been assigned, or provide them with the supervision that they need.

A contractor should not be expected to act as an engineer or an architect. Many jobs do not require the expertise of an engineer; but on a job that does, failure to hire one is a recipe for disaster. Whether you are a homeowner or a contractor, if you think you need engineering expertise, get it. If you aren’t willing to spend the money for professional design help, don’t blame your workers when you end up with a mess. YOU are the one that made the decision to proceed in this manner.

In every town there are good contractors. Almost every one knows who they are. If you don’t know who they are, ask your neighbors, your architect, your local code enforcement officials, your building supply retailer, or believe it or not, your local contractors. Amazingly enough, most contractors are willing to tell you who their competition is, and how they rate.

Above all, don’t try to convince me that you can’t find a good contractor. I have been in this business for all of my life, and I can tell you for sure that they are all around you. I hire them every day. If you try to pretend that you can’t see them, I’m not going to buy it. You can see them alright, and so can the rest of us. All you have to do is step up to the plate, and pay them their just due.

These forums are filled with good contractors. There is a good one within reach of your area. If you call one of them and they can’t do your job for you, they will recommend someone who can. Try it, you’ll be glad that you did.

Best wishes, and good luck in all of your endeavors,

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I want to see Mike's words as a voice over in a Chevy truck commercial! Fade-outs in the background of Ole Glory waving, apple pie and families on Sunday picnics!

Good stuff Mike. That's the America that I am proud of.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Many people become disillusioned and bitter in their search for the American Dream. Becuase they're looking too hard and not seeing that we're already living it.
I agree completely.
Plus the whole freedom things has to do with the right to search. We should all be happy we even HAVE the right to search...and be at least comforted by that fact when things do not turn out as we might have wanted.

The right to PURSUE happiness, not to be happy.

I finished having dinner with some of my Canadian brothers the other day, and we were talking about how awesome BC is. I told them I would love to move there one day, except for the fact I am into the whole USA thing. I couldn't imagine life any other way.
Then we all discussed how different life could have been for us all, if just a few things turned out differently.
I would hate to have to learn German :)

God bless every one of us all over the world.

And to my fellow brothers on this board:
"here's to many years of sharing and enjoying each others company".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Although I’m not currently among the group here as a contractor anymore. I’m with you in spirit, and the love we have for doing what we do best. I love my work and I’m proud of the quality and craftsmanship I yearn to provide. I’ll be back in it soon, educated, determined, and with a fresh log on the fire.

“Thank You Everyone.”

I’ve been reading a lot of this board and you’ve all given freely a wealth of information. I’m off to search for a post on how to keep gray hairs out of my paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts