Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a fire remod, a small home only 5 rooms, I subed it from a nation wide insurance clean up contractor. (no names) Demo, drywal tape and mud paint, new floors kit and bath, no carpet. I left the baseboard 3/8 high to help the carpet guy, I always do. (I consider it standard)

Finnished it up.......no money......no money......6 weeks went by. Finnally I went to his office and they said he was out on the job fixing my mistakes so I drove straight out.

The moron had a flat bar removing all the base and renailing it down to the floor. I just said "you'll find out when the carpet guy gets here, give me my money." He paid after the carpet guy got there. But he did try to blame me 6 week for the delay at first.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Where I am from doing the baseboards either resting on the floor and butting the carpet up to it or tucking the carpet under the baseboards is acceptable. Because it ends up being personal preference I would have to clarify which way the customer wanted it. I see most homeowners wanting the baseboards on top and most rental property owners want it the other way.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There is your first mistake. (Well, not really first, but what the heck).

Standard.........Never assume it is a standard.

Like Mike said it could go either way.

Ask a question, but never Assume. Because when something goes wrong and you assumed, you are equally to blame.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even either way doesn't call for tearing it out and changing it. Not only that but the carpet guy charged him a little extra for not being able to kick and tuck.

Bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bad carpet guy taking advantage of him like that. I use 7 1/4 speed base and go right to the floor with it. Any correct professional carpet installer can kick and tuck that. Shame on that carpet guy. :eek:

You are right, before the guy started tearing out the base he should of checked his options. Both scenarios work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts