Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you guys read the last post about the night drop box... i have found myself in another predicament which requires the help of you guys. In maddison square guarden... a company was contracted to remove 2 large safes from the basement of the building. They did and as they tried to pick them up... the light bulb went on that said "hmm, how the :censored: are we going to get them up the stairs"... now i dont know if you guys are familiar with maidison square guarden but the stairs have to be atleast 30 feet from top to bottom. So i got the call to try and come up with a solution... these safes weigh about 3500 pounds... yess thats right thats no typo 3500 pounds. They were built in place with a steel box that was covered in concrete than sheated in 1/2 inch plate steel... the safes are 6x6x5. My idea as of now is to put 2 guys on each safe with partner saws and have them try to cut the plate steel off the safe... than to use dexpan or cut the concrete with the saws into manegable pieces. I have only seen ****ty camera phone pictures of the safe... but im going to take a look tomorrow and will have a better idea then... any ideas or suggestions would be great cause this one seems like a monster...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Gotta be a service elevator down there somewhere.. cut it till it fits:thumbsup:

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you imagine the conversation between the 2 workers after that one? "I'm not calling him, you call him. F that, I quit." :laughing:
yeah that was funny :laughing:... im just leavin now to go take a look at this monster... ill let you guys know what i see. Lol at the little red waggon.. i should have thought of that :notworthy ryder power baby.

·
Contractor
7,313 Posts
... the safes are 6x6x5. My idea as of now is to put 2 guys on each safe with partner saws and have them try to cut the plate steel off the safe... than to use dexpan or cut the concrete with the saws into manegable pieces.
I think I would score a few cut lines in the steel, then drill and load with the dexpan. It might break along the scored lines and you'll have nice neat pieces of steel and some concrete rubble.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
If you can rent a welder with at least 400 amps, you could buy an air arc, it takes a welder, and compressed air, it will carve through that steel like a hot knife through butter. I have used an air arc to carve through 6 inches of cast steel parts used on mining equipment in mere minutes. You can also use it to carve out welds, so you can just go along the welded seam and cut it apart, hammer the concrete, and then cut the inside up also, should only take a day at the max!

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i went to see it today... and well there big, heavy and steel plated... the project manager expresed concerns about using the cut off saws because of the dust produced... but i told him that we would wet the area down and only use them if absolutely necesary. I like that idea with the torch but im gonna have to locate one by wensday... tenatively. I like your idea tom, im gonna call the rep tomorrow to see what he thinks about your suggestion... cutting some is deffinitley better than having to cut all...

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
You can find an air arc at any welding supply store, 300 bucks. The trick is the air compressor and heavy duty welder. it was just an idea, you can score the linesand try to use dexpan, but steel has such a high tensile strength, i bet it will only split near the holes. half inch is some serious stuff to cut, If using a gas axe, does it have good venhalation? that saw running for a couple min, being 2 stroke puts out a crazy amount of fumes. Just concerned about your workers health. Have you thought about a metal cutting skill saw? they do make those as well. it may be a tiny bit time consuming, but they do cut through steel nicely and do not use an abrasive blade, so they aren't quite as dusty. but very loud.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well were goin in, and as usual were wingin it... Just kiddin i got 5 guys, 4 partner saws, 100 pounds of dexpan and my buddies plasma cutter... it should be interesting to say the least... wish me luck guys.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well we did it... plasma cutter worked wonders on the steel and we hardly used the partner saw save for some rebar on the inside of the concrete... dexpan split the safes into 4 pieces which were cut once again into 8 pieces... wich turned everything into a crumbled mess... had to take the concrete up the stairs in rubbermaid buckets which sucked but other than that... job really wasnt too terrible... and yess i do have pictures... well not me... the super for the company we were working for was taking pics all day. Ill post em as soon as i get em... thanks for the help guys.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't care who has the pics....just get them on here.

Glad the job went well. I hope you made a ton of money.......maybe there was some left in the safe?
yeah... we made out pritty good, it was an interesting invoice to say the least... wish there was some left in the safe... that would be great... Last night drop box i was on they did not empty out the atms which needed to moved before we could take it out... so we're sittin there and the girls behind the counter are counting out stacks from the machines... each holds like 160,000... so times 3... man we couldve made off like freakin bandits. And yess ill get the pics asap so you guys can admire my handywork :whistling

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my friend should be coming over tonight... so ill ask him to bring his camera and ill post the pics later...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts