Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a room inside a garage. The room will be 18'W x 26'L on the interior. The engineer said that to use the 9 1/2" OSB I Beams I would have to go for 12" OC. Now here's the stupid question :eek: , Do I need to stud the wall out at 12" OC also. (of course I do). I'd figure I just make sure. Thanks.

Leo G

·
Registered
378 Posts
for dimensinal lumber joists the code allows. 12 oc over 16 oc as long as you have a double top plate.for i-joist we usally line up framing due to longer spans and heavier loads.plus the possible deflection of top plate would not be acceptable in hi end work.being this is a garage would say offset is ok.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Leo G said:
I am building a room inside a garage. The room will be 18'W x 26'L on the interior. The engineer said that to use the 9 1/2" OSB I Beams I would have to go for 12" OC. Now here's the stupid question :eek: , Do I need to stud the wall out at 12" OC also. (of course I do). I'd figure I just make sure. Thanks.

Leo G
does the project call for Ceil'g only, or will there be stuff on top?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shopdust - I'm pretty sure there will be stuff on top. I figure I want to build it so that I have the option of makeing a second story.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I'm wondering why you insist on using the 9-1/2" I-joists? Surely another size will get you a more traditional spacing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You're o.k. with double top plate W/ studs at 16" o/c. I too would go with the next size up or so to get the 16" spacing.(The std. 2x4 stud is good for 2 stories, including trusses with tile roofs, even at 16" o/c spacing). The time you save nailing it off will help cover the extra cost. It will also give you a little more flexability as to placing heavy loads in the center of the span.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All finished with that part of the project guys. I went with the 11 7/8" x 24' I beams. Spaced off at 16 OC. The room went up at 18'-4" x 24'-2" with a 12' x 8' room inside it. The 11 7/8" ended up costing less than the 9 1/2". Not includng the extra nailing time. Next part of the project is taping and mudding, my least favorite thing to do.:rolleyes:

Leo

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Use a hawk and knife Leo, pans stink, plus after you start trucking on it, it's easy to catch a lot of oversling with a hawk.

Bob

Now we're talkin', - - I can't stand those pans myself, - - hawk is the way to go. :Thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts