Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got back home. Contractor is flying on the exterior of my house. I asked him how much he charges to roof a house in Kankakee County. He said 210 a square. I thought that was a excellent price he said that is going rate for K3 county for a 30 year shingle. :Thumbs: Oh he said Ice and water dam is extra.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
everything tear off dumpster everything. I asked about grace ice and water dam because i no you guys like it. He said thats the most expensive on market. He said my roof didn't really need it because it doesn't have any valleys. But he said he could put ice and water dam under starter shingles but he would not recomend grace because of price. He said there are about 4 or 5 others on the market. He said that would be a extra 3-400 dollars. I said i have two layers of asphalt. He said thats ok because my roof is the easiest a roofer can see. Just a ridge for one gable to the other and just a normal pitch. He said dumpster could go in driveway and we can hit it with shingles from roof. It seems to me he charges 210 a square for everything except extras meaning ice and water dam and flashing. I wasn't planning on putting new roof on until next year but i gave him the go ahead because of the price I thought what a bargain. Will go with the ice and water just not grace. :Thumbs: Oh of course any plywood that need to be replaced would be extra.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
So now you know what you are paying. Do you know what you are getting? People too often place the cart infront of the horse. A professional can't answer "how much will it cost?" until they know variables. How many layers? How steep? What existing material to come off? What new materials to go back on? What kind of ventilation? What kind of underlayments? How many chimneys to flash? How many plumbing pipes to flash? How many skylights to flash? How much step flashing? How much apron flashing? How much does the permit cost? Antennas or satelite dishes?

As far as grace ice and water shield goes, it is the best. I usually don't use it under shingles though... but if it were my house I would not hesitate.

Did you see his state of IL roofing license? Did you see his certificate of General liability insurance? Is he pulling the permit? Did you see his certificate of Workmans Compensation insurance? Did he provide a well written out spec in his written proposal? Did he give you the "IL Consumer Rights form"?

Basically the point I am trying to make is that price isn't everything. Although price is always a factor it should be the least important factor because specification and scope of work determines price. BTW $210 is about average and slightly less than I'd charge for what you described.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Also I won't do a roof without some form of Ice and water shield. typically 3' at the gutter lines, which is where ice damns are most common. The goal is to get the ice shield at least 1 1/2' past the exterior warm wall. I install 3' in valleys and 18" around chimneys, skylights and where the roof may meet a wall.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
And I say why are you letting the siding guy do your roof? Siding is carpentry. Roofing is its own industry. Why not the plumber or electrician or guy that sucks out the septic field? They are all just as qualified as a carpenter. I think he has given you bad info.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
No flashings included? No soil stack flashings? All the stuff Grumpy mentioned?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lmao!

Aaron, Putting a carpenter in the same class with a guy that pumps crap out of a tank to do roofing just means you still sport a mullet. Let me see you frame a house. A home owner could do his own roof no problem with a few goat ropers to do the tear off and he snapped chalk lines for 3 tabs(read instructions).Dimensional shingles a retard can lay! What are you even thinking a Carpenter can not to the job? Dude I'm rolling here! I know carpenters (me included) that lay 2-3 SQ a hr depending on pitch part time for extra cash on side jobs. If your laying a torch down that's one thing but don't go passing your self off as a rocket scientist to lay a straight run roof.
I'm sure you will know this one.. why do all the roofers steal my ladders?
You don't even want to try and compair the brains involved in our trades!

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Him and his brothers are all around guys. Meaning they do it all. I have seen roofs he has done they look excellent. As a matter of fact I seen a house he sided and did windows and did roof before mine looks excellent. I'm getting a 30 year owens corning shingle I picked the color tan/brown to match siding. Only thing on roof is vent for hot water furnance and plumbers vent. Thats it. He said he would add a few more of those low visibility square vents on roof only have 2 now because 1963 house its also vented through gables.He said add 4 for a total of six. He said that along with increase soffits vents which he just finished to day would be plenty of ventilation. He said if he needs to replace plywood on roof he would only charge price of plywood plus 20 dollars a sheet to install. :Thumbs: I didn't ask about permit but i know we didn't need for vinyl and replacement windows i will ask. I know the guy and his brothers you can ask anybody in town they will say there who you want to go with for excellent work at a small town price. I also no grumpy doesn't like owens corning but i figure i will be out of this house in 10 years so i'm in good shape. Will be going with ice and water above gutters. Gutters are getting replaced. AS a matter of fact gutters failed on back of house he had to replace like six soffitts of plywood and the fascia before he wrapped in aluminum. There are alot of contractors in my county who do siding and roofing. But him and his brothers do it all. As a matter of fact 5 years ago I had him change the ceiling in my den. It turn out awesome. We did it in tongue and groved carsiding. Tongue and groved pine. It looks awesome.It use to be a one car attached garage now a den.

·
Registered
378 Posts
wickedcarpenter said:
Aaron, Putting a carpenter in the same class with a guy that pumps crap out of a tank to do roofing just means you still sport a mullet. Let me see you frame a house. A home owner could do his own roof no problem with a few goat ropers to do the tear off and he snapped chalk lines for 3 tabs(read instructions).Dimensional shingles a retard can lay! What are you even thinking a Carpenter can not to the job? Dude I'm rolling here! I know carpenters (me included) that lay 2-3 SQ a hr depending on pitch part time for extra cash on side jobs. If your laying a torch down that's one thing but don't go passing your self off as a rocket scientist to lay a straight run roof.
I'm sure you will know this one.. why do all the roofers steal my ladders?
You don't even want to try and compair the brains involved in our trades!
Have to agree on this only way to get a quality shingle roof done right in our area is to have a carpenter do it.Residential roofing {shingle}in our area is dominated by roofers who churn out cheap leaky sh--t.Storys of guys ripping out step flashings,and caulking in place of,are just the tip of the iceberg.Good roofing companys avoid this market and do commercial type jobs.Big part of this problem is the lack of any regulation or inpection process.I asked building inpector why they don,t inpect on roofing permit,after all the homeowner is paying a fee.He replied we do,we drive by.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Who ever said I knew how to frame a house? I have, but I am no pro. Sure you all can lay some straight shingles with lots of chalk lines. O k kool.

Who the hell want to be in that insane market where everyone demands cheap, but complains when they get what they pay for? Not I. We focus commercial, and do residential referral. Go and get what you pay for. What the hell do I care?

I also do many tasks decently. This does not mean I am a professional anything but a roofing contractor.

We do shingles, BUR, EPDM, Modified Bitumen, Metal fabrication and installation, standing seam, restorations. I think there is much more to this roofing thing than any of you realize.

Wicked carpenter, why do all the dirtbags steal MY ladders?

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Also, I didnt say that carpenters arent skilled in their trade. I said that they are equally qualified to do the roofing as the sh_t sucker.

I repair roofing weekly that has been installed by carpenters, so now you can look at things both ways.

BTW, where are you located? I would like to advertise leak repairs. LOL :Thumbs:

Are you in Grand Rapids?

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aaron B. Lockport(Will County) Actually its been a while since I've been to lockport the way I use to go was 45 north to 159th street go left hello lockport in about 15 minutes. I here lockport has built up since then meaning new construction subdivisions. Do you ever travel to parts of Will county for roofing like Monee and Peotone. Your close to your sisters house if your in those communitys. Get on that one back road in peotone it will take you to Momence. Ok here how it works. Take 45 South to peotone Road. Go Left. Run dead end. Go right. Run deadend. Hand left than first right. Run dead end. Go left than 2nd right. Stay on until first left. Your now coming in backdoor to momence by the schools. Not sure what part of momence your sister lives in. (When i told that one guy about getting ahold of baker and taylor in momence for some studying books you posted your sister lives in momence. :Thumbs: Thats Kankakee county :Thumbs:

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
She lives right in front ofthe high school...literally. Her hous is across the street.

Lockport has beeen built up over the last ten years immensely! Our property values have skyrocketed along with our taxes.

I will be doing my sister's roof this summer. Stop on by and have a cold one after 5 PM.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I occasion Richard's in Kankakee about once a year for specialty stuff I need NOW.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Aaron i live in Manteno but I get to momence once a year during the festival to check out the car show at he Island Park. Yes Richs tap on dixie Highway next to the bank. :Thumbs: My mistake Richards in kankakee I don't no what your talking about there. Its your lucky night I'm actual home. I looked in phone book theres a Richards supply on grinnel road which would be off of route 50 in Kankakee. Thats like the industrial supply area. :Thumbs: I thought you ment the rich's bar in momence. :cheesygri

Aaron as a matter of fact in you continue to go down grinnel road there is a auto supply yard called acme. Where you can get everything used its huge. I locked the keys in my car once a locksmith wanted 105 dollars to get them out. I just took my elbow smashed out back door window next day I called them up. They said no problem 30 dollars for that window. Took it to a glass company in bradley had it installed for 35 dollars only took me hour and fifteen minutes from start to finished. 65 dollars cheaper than 105 dollars :cheesygri

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
65 bucks, but what is your time worth? The travel time, the wait for install, the time spent cleaning up the mess? I woulda went the other way.

My sister just moved from manteno. My dad lives in Grant Park.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
bergenbldr said:
Have to agree on this only way to get a quality shingle roof done right in our area is to have a carpenter do it.Residential roofing {shingle}in our area is dominated by roofers who churn out cheap leaky sh--t.Storys of guys ripping out step flashings,and caulking in place of,are just the tip of the iceberg.Good roofing companys avoid this market and do commercial type jobs.Big part of this problem is the lack of any regulation or inpection process.I asked building inpector why they don,t inpect on roofing permit,after all the homeowner is paying a fee.He replied we do,we drive by.
I couldn't have said it better, - - here in central Jersey hiring a roofer is just asking to have your house ruined, - - whether you had a leak or not, - - when you hire a roofer you have one now, - - as bergenbldr says, - - the smart ones hire carpenters.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aaron they have a nice upscale subdivison in grant park thats on a lake. I don't no what its called its go over railroad tracks on rt1 hang a right just after the restaurant. I also seen they have some new all brick duplexs in grant park. I went driving around K3 county looking at houses before I decided the color vinyl i wanted to go with and shutter colors.

Bears should be coming to town next month for training camp at olivet U in bourbonais.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts