Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on how to educate homeowners on how tankless water heaters can save them money and get endless hot water?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
The fact that EVERYONE uses them in Japan where the cost of living is through the roof isn't enough:blink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
A good place to start would be documentation. A sample of bills before and after installation. I had one in house after living there for a year and the savings were clear starting the first month. Too long ago to find bills or I would send them to you. Maybe one of your customers would share that info with you for future jobs.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
After I tell them the cost of upgrading their electrical service and they do the math, most find it will not be worth it to change. Gas units may be better, but the folks I know that have gone with the electric ones were not satisfied.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Dirtywhiteboy said:
The fact that EVERYONE uses them in Japan where the cost of living is through the roof isn't enough:blink:
Gas here is much cheaper than Japan. As long as gas is cheap it makes those units hard to justify depending on the size of the house etc. Radiant heat is similar, its popular in Europe because gas is expensive so.you need efficiency to combat it. In America radiant heat is a luxury because gas is cheap and the install price is insanely high priced given the large square footage of homes.

A standard water heater is dirt cheap to run and dirt cheap to buy, that's an unavoidable fact of life.

Somewhere I have notes on actual costs comparing the two. Sometime this week I will dig it out and type something up on the forum.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Tankless has advantages for certain households. But not most (opinion). The endless hot water thing is great for showering. If a household has a lot of pre-teens, or teenagers, they would be good candidates. You need to figure out a way to get into the house first, then you can educate the homeowners.

If was a plumber, I would make a dirt cheap offer to flush the water heater (just to get invited in the home) then talk up the tankless thing, should you choose.

·
Registered
582 Posts
We installed a tankless boiler in our 1925 Colonial Revival home (2,400 square feet), for domestic hot water and heating.

I'm not sure *that* was worth it.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Dirtywhiteboy said:
Damit Mike you're always right:mad:
Its not that I'm right, its the math that's right. People who sell tankless know darn well you NEVER EVER sell it based on saving money because the simple preschool math doesn't add up. You sell a tankless with the pitch of "its endless hot water and if you want that buy a tankless"......keeping up with the Joneses is the American way.

Most homes have 1/2" gas running to a water heater. For correctly sized units the gas is undersized and that costs money to size it correctly. The last tankless retrofit I installed had a total price tag of $4,300. Compare that to a standard water heater with a total installed price of around $800.

Keep in mind you don't have instant hot water at the fixture, its only instant at the heater. A standard water heater can have a sweet working recirc line installed that's cheap to operate and cheap to install.

Regardless, tankless has maintenance issues just like everything in life so the has to be included in the math. Maintenance on a tankless is not like maintenance on a standard water heater. A couple weeks back I repaired a tankless problem and the bill was $921.00

Right now we have a difference of $3,500. This is just extra cost associated with going to a tankless. I'm not going to get into maintenance but its a mistake to think they don't have issues.

Anyhow, a standard water heater can last 15-20 years if maintained but not many people do that. That's mistake number one! On my blog I tore open a rheem water heater step by step to show people what happens to the inside if you do nothing to it. In very harsh conditions it lasted 13 years I think? They CAN last a very long time but that's a different subject.

In the end I sell them to people who enjoy having modern technology and I tell them up front you will have endless hot water but you will pay a premium to get it. That is how you sell it. If you tell them they will save money that is just wrong and you will have upset customers.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Dude is trying to sell tankless units. (S)He wanted advise on how to go about promoting them. Somehow, (s)he should try to find housholds with many people living there.

Like OconMike said, for the most part, they aren't all that beneficial. But, there are some settings in which they are great. Those are the people to seek.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
flashheatingand said:
Dude is trying to sell tankless units. (S)He wanted advise on how to go about promoting them. Somehow, (s)he should try to find housholds with many people living there.

Like OconMike said, for the most part, they aren't all that beneficial. But, there are some settings in which they are great. Those are the people to seek.
Its weird actually. On real small small stuff like a one bath cabin they are great. On really big homes they can be perfect as well.....but expensive naturally. Its the in-between that's tricky.

I have very good luck being honest with customers and they love it when I explain endless hot water is an expensive luxury. Take away any notion of saving money and your left with a simple equation that customers can quickly decide.

If not the customer is left wondering, never a good thing. They might even save some money eventually and that's just a bonus. If you even mention they can save money.......and they don't?.......your business reputation is in jeopardy as it should be.

Mike

·
Registered
411 Posts
My opinion is that it's only useful if you have a baseball team for a family and there's no hot water left in the morning. Try looking up some manufacturer literature, that might be your best resource but then again, google is your friend.
LOL!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
Mike, Funny you should mention the recirculating line. We just did a basement where my plumber installed one. The had to wait a minute or so for hot water before, now they get it in a couple seconds.

No pump, nothing. I was amazed and more importantly the homeowner was thrilled with it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I will try to throw some vague ideas out.

This info is based on things I have read and learned (probably mostly here), so bear with me. Hopefully I will generate some food for thought.

You could try direct mail. I believe you can purchase mailing lists and seek out your ideal customer. For example: a single family of 9 living in a great big home.

If you were to design an ad campaign to target large families, you could perhaps educate some people on the benefits, and hopefully get some business as well.

Perhaps a card or flyer with a heading like "Tired of running out of hot water? We can help you with that." (just a random example)

Hopefully your opening heading gets their attention. Then the body of the ad would have info, specs, etc. about the benefits of switching to a tankless system. This would provide your chance to educate potential clients about the benefits of your service.

This is just an idea about how to educate people, and possibly drum up some business.

It is only my opinion, and I am just trying to contribute.

Peace.

Edit: After I posted this, I saw the OP only has 1 post, and possibly will never return...
I spent 10 minutes on this. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts