Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
"Interesting" is one way to describe it.
I think it would have been easier and look better if the recessed areas were built out to meet the rest of the wall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are wrong. You need to see in person then. It doesn't look right when blocking is nailed to the wall to bring the crown onto the same plane.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I agree that it took some skill to install it that way.:thumbsup:

Still looks distracting to me. The second pic is symmetrical and looks better than the first.

I would have played with extending the head pieces into the corner.

The truth is that the detail looks great so long as the doors have the room from the corners for the large crown to return clean. I just don't think there is a great way to pull it off otherwise.

All that said the pictures are interesting.:notworthy

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I understand the concept behind the detail, but it looks very awkward to me. It definitely looks like something was missed in the planning stage. In order for the crown to flow properly, the windows need to be pulled from the corner far enough for the molding to clear itself throughout all the transitions. Either that, or they needed to be closer to the corner, so that it could appear to be "built into" the corner, without the crowded transition. However, very nice workmanship.:thumbsup:

Reactions: WNYcarpenter

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
These are "no win" situations... since the window locations and trim sizes were not planned, you end up doing the best you can.

Some of the most challenging work I've ever done was really just due to a lack of planning.

I think the best compromise is to run the crown straight into the corner, but not the head casing, instead you slip a filler block in to fill the void behind the crown in the corner.

Doors and windows in corners work best if you use casing large enough to meet in the corner. A related problem is not enough room for a full casing. Here is pic of a corner where half a casing meets on each side of the corner, so it looks like a full casing folded into the corner. The other issue in this photo is different height doors.

Cheers,

Bass

Attachments

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
someone should have caught that detail problem long enough beforehand to figure a more pleasing transition.

That could have been the most complicated piece in the house to assemble, and it's nicely done, but it looks an "Oh, Sh!t!"....

We run into that when the HOer or designer changes trim details mid-stream. Don't take offense.....

we don't always know the circumstances involved, just what we can see from the pics!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no doubt that it would look cleaner if there was the proper amount of room for both sides of the returns in the corners. But I'm telling you, we tried a mock up of running the crown into the corners with "filler blocks" to bring the crown on the same plane as the heads, it just looks "unbalanced" with a proper return on one side and no return on the other side. To each his own I guess.

The funny thing about the lack of thought about window placement though is this. This is over a 4 million dollar house in Westport, CT and the builder is too cheap to get any kind of interior trim detailing from the architect. All the trim is an "after thought". It does come down to, here it is, make it work!

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
There is no doubt that it would look cleaner if there was the proper amount of room for both sides of the returns in the corners. But I'm telling you, we tried a mock up of running the crown into the corners with "filler blocks" to bring the crown on the same plane as the heads, it just looks "unbalanced" with a proper return on one side and no return on the other side. To each his own I guess.

The funny thing about the lack of thought about window placement though is this. This is over a 4 million dollar house in Westport, CT and the builder is too cheap to get any kind of interior trim detailing from the architect. All the trim is an "after thought". It does come down to, here it is, make it work!
Hi Marc,

That was a difficult position to be in and you did some challenging work and did it well. There are other ways to do it too. Your mock up may have looked odd, but so do the pics you posted... no easy way out.

I've done it both ways. Here is the other approach (look at the last two photos):

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/...chniques/crazy-conjoined-column-capital-crown

Cheers,

Bass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts