Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some new stuff to replace old stuff....and for once, I am actually reading a owners manual !

CT36 to replace a CT22
Bosch Auto - to replace a Turbo II

The Bosch manual states to NOT USE the auto clean with the Hepa Vacs.
I get this....it changes the pores density.

Nary of a comment on this on my Festool Manual.
AM I MISSING a detail here or does the Festool have some magic ju ju going in in which auto clean and Hepa are a approved combo ?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
mobiledynamics said:
So I got some new stuff to replace old stuff....and for once, I am actually reading a owners manual ! CT36 to replace a CT22 Bosch Auto - to replace a Turbo II The Bosch manual states to NOT USE the auto clean with the Hepa Vacs. I get this....it changes the pores density. Nary of a comment on this on my Festool Manual. AM I MISSING a detail here or does the Festool have some magic ju ju going in in which auto clean and Hepa are a approved combo ?
I have used my 2nd gen HEPA filter from my CT26 on my CT36AC. I do know that the 36 is not rated for RRP even with the CT26 filter. The filter worked out but there was def a loss of suction compared to the standard none HEPA filter. I wouldn't use that filter in my CT26 now as I have no way to tell if its filtering correctly. What's gonna be your main use for the 36AC?

Also have you ever seen the AC on the festool work? If not watch this vid

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bosch = Daily Driver. In the field debris/dust collection
36AC = Mostly hooked up at home to the Kapex, etc. I do plan to get the Planex when I make extra *toy money*

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BC -

Curious. Have you seen on any forums if the Dust Deputy, etc works well with the 36/26 variants ? Positive or negative reviews ?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
mobiledynamics said:
Bosch = Daily Driver. 36AC = Mostly hooked up at home to the Kapex, etc. I do plan to get the Planex when I make extra *toy money*
Well if you are using the CT36 with a bag and AC off then the HEPA filter will be perfectly fine. I would change the filter back with the stock one for drywall use. For one you get better suction this way and you still have a HEPA filter for extraction wood fibers.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
mobiledynamics said:
BC - Curious. Have you seen on any forums if the Dust Deputy, etc works well with the 36/26 variants ? Positive or negative reviews ?
I nearly bought one 2 weeks ago. They do work good but they were all recalled from my local store because so many CT's were getting Fried electronics. I would hold out and see what happens with them. They should use the same material festool uses in their hoses instead of the stupid way they deal with static currently.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I have a Ct 36. When I'm not sanding drywall I replace the stock filter with a hepa, install a self cleaning cloth bag and turn the AC off.

Works fine to me.

It's just not certified for rrp because the unit dosent come with a standard hepa filter installed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In further poking around, is it the same like how AC is offered overseas in all classes but only on the 36 here.

SO, HEPA is okay to use on the 36, JUST don't have AC enabled ? UL listing or whatever that may have them show supported versus unsupported configs.

Time to do some homework on bags now....well. until I get a Dust Deputy

·
Registered
13,361 Posts
I use the HEPA in the 36AC when not sanding drywall. I install the standard filter for drywall work.

No mention of the HEPA in the AC manual because it is not a standard item.

It was never lab tested for RRP work.

In other countries they have various classes of CT. The letter in the model number defines the dust class they are designed to handle. There is AC on all sizes, not all classes.

Use the fleece bags in the AC.

Dust Deputy issues were with static grounding. As far as I know DD working on the problem.

Tom

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom -

Are you using the fleece bags with AC on ?

Doing homework on bags systems for both the the new toys...
Auto-Clean regardless, on any of these filter vacs is pretty awesome.

Here's the one for the Bosch...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
mobiledynamics said:
Tom - Are you using the fleece bags with AC on ? Doing homework on bags systems for both the the new toys... Auto-Clean regardless, on any of these filter vacs is pretty awesome. Here's the one for the Bosch... Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGBrkF2eVDY
AC is pointless with a fleece bag.

When in drywall setup you would run standard filter, plastic bag and AC on.

In wood setup you would run HEPA filter, fleece bag and AC off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just refreshed my homework in the UDD. They have a *new* design that supposedly deals with the ground issues. More googling to see what they have done with the redesign or maybe I should hold off till more guinea pigs use the V3 on their Lean Green Machine

·
Registered
13,361 Posts
I use just the bags and throw them away when it's full. Recently finish a job that generated 1200 liters of dust. Changed out the bags at least once a day in the 36, 2 to 3 times a day in the smaller CT's.

I can't see collecting all the dust just to dump creating a cloud of dust.

Tom

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually Tom, I was planning to use liners/open bags in the DD just like how one would use them in the CT. The only difference is it's just that ~open bags~ and not a fully closed bag like the fleece.

However, I was planning to use a bag in the Vac when collecting wood, etc regardless, as the fine particulate is not always captured by the cyclone effect.

I look at it as Dust Deputy doing Stage 1 filtering, and whatever get's past, the vac is doing Stage 2.

·
Registered
13,361 Posts
I'll have to look at the DD to see how a bag works in it.

Do you save anything using a DD bag and throwing it away as opposed to the CT bag?

Tom

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Save -

Kindof....Assuming a single bag will have a hairs breath of dust that is not captured by the DD.

So the $250 I spend on a lifelong bag, or even a clean *upper top lid* if I'm doing sheetrock, the DD takes all the abuse.

I'm walking into this fully aware I'm losing some % of CFM. But when I did research on it, everyone that has a DD has never looked back to not have one.

·
Registered
506 Posts
tjbnwi said:
You should not use the life long bag for dust. It is designed for chips like a planer will produce. They plug pretty quickly with fine dust. This info is in the LL bag specs. I know someone who only got a couple of months out of the bag due to dust.

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/hepa-dust-extractors/bags/longlife-filter-bag-longlife-for-ct-36-496121

How often would you fill a 36 bag? They're about $8.25 each.

Tom
I've been using my ct22 with a long life bag for cutting everything from PVC to pine for over 4 years. Before that it was a demo unit at a local dealer. The date on my vac says 2003 and I wouldn't be surprised if its been on the same bag simce new. The only thing I avoid is drywall dust and sanding. I'll normally use my midi or 26 for that.

I do only use the standard filter with the LL bag because of how much dust escapes the bag. Suction is increased with disposable bags though.

My ct22 mostly gets used outside anyway and I empty the bag and tap it out into a barrel at the end of every day and blow out the tub with my Lxt blower after using the filter rake. Yea it's a little messy but I'm normally filthy by then already and I get to practice holding my breathe...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts